Electric Trailer Brake Problem

peteraq1

I purchased an open deck car trailer today, with electric brakes. I hooked up the plug for the lights, the lights worked great. The trailer brakes were locked on while connected to truck. Unplug the cable and the brakes unlock, trailer rolls fine. I plan on installing the brake controller ASAP. :banghead: Will the controller solve my problem? Anybody else have this problem?

I purchased an open deck car trailer today, with electric brakes.  I hooked up the plug for the lights, the lights worked great.  The trailer brakes were locked on while connected to truck.  Unplug the cable and the brakes unlock, trailer rolls fine.  I plan on installing the brake controller ASAP.  :banghead:  Will the controller solve my problem? Anybody else have this problem?

check the wiring on the plug. are you using the flat/round 4 pin connector? if yes, then you will need the 7 pin connector.

1- for running lights

1- for left turn

1- right tuen

1- brake lights

1- e-brakes

1- 12v hot for batt. charge or lights

1- ground

sounds like the wires for the e-brakes are wired into the running lights. when you get the brake controller it should come with a plug in to the lower left side of your fire wall, and install the 40 amp. fuse. use a 7 pin connector on the trailer and wire it up to match the truck...

not all that hard to do, when it all good them ajust your brake controller for the load you are pulling. :thumbs:

good luck

:seeya:

I just installed trailer brake controllers on two of my trucks here at work - 06 Silverado 2500 and 02 Silverado 3500....

I went with this controller:

Tekonsha Primus electronic controller

It came with a free harness that simply plugged into the back of the controller and then straight into the truck (remember that the truck should have come with a harness with 5 loose wires....but this kit didn't need that, you simply plug and go!)

On both trucks, it only took like 10 to 15 minutes a piece to install. The thing works great, and was a sinch to install (I only purchased 1 to start with, and I liked it so much, I got another)

Here is where I got mine from:

Tekonsha Primus

P.S. - I rewired both of my trailers (one car trailer and one dual axle dump trailer) to ensure that they were right....the plugs had some age on them, and I wanted to make sure they were going to work right.....simple stuff, especially with those diagrams above!

I just installed trailer brake controllers on two of my trucks here at work - 06 Silverado 2500 and 02 Silverado 3500....

I went with this controller:

Tekonsha Primus electronic controller

It came with a free harness that simply plugged into the back of the controller and then straight into the truck (remember that the truck should have come with a harness with 5 loose wires....but this kit didn't need that, you simply plug and go!)

On both trucks, it only took like 10 to 15 minutes a piece to install.  The thing works great, and was a sinch to install (I only purchased 1 to start with, and I liked it so much, I got another)

Here is where I got mine from:

Tekonsha Primus

P.S. - I rewired both of my trailers (one car trailer and one dual axle dump trailer) to ensure that they were right....the plugs had some age on them, and I wanted to make sure they were going to work right.....simple stuff, especially with those diagrams above!

I hooked up the Tekonsha Primus and the OEM plug. Man that was to easy, everything works great. I wish the trailer dealer would have known something about what to do. Would have save me some time and energy. Thanks again everybody for the info.

Archived