A tale of 2 Mod's

Big O

I have a couple of mods I am working and was wondering if anyone on here has any info on .....

(1) GM's remote start using the OEM keyless entry

and

(2) Making the extended cab windows operate electronically from a switch by the drivers seat.

I was pursing a sliding rear window install (the entire 1 piece back window would slide down opening access to the bed and vent cab) but I think I will like the ext cab side windows better. Anyone traveled this road yet or have any info on the accessibilty of the remote start from GM?

-- TIM

Tim,

I have never seen anyone try the extended cab windows, but I think that it might be a little tricky. The only advice that I can give is that you need to be VERY careful on how far you let the windows vent out, they only have rubber hinges on them that are glued onto the glass (they are NOT very strong)! Here is something that we have installed before that you could do on the backglass (I own a glass shop, and have personally installed these). They are a pretty cool unit:

Additional Product Information:

POWR-Slider offers the discriminating truck owner push button convenience that lets you open or close your rear slider with a simple touch of a dash-mounted switch. No need to take your eyes off the road, or fumble with a latch behind your head, just touch the switch and POWR-Slider opens or closes quietly.

This glass looks like a conventional backglass, but it has a power center sliding glass. All you have is a dash mounted toggle switch, and it allows you to open/close the slider:

EPC899S_3056.gif

Here are the specs:

POWR-Slider is designed to integrate beautifully with today's luxurious truck cab interiors, as if it were original equipment. The black finish aluminum frame fully surrounds solar privacy glass, and fits in the rear window opening without modifications to the cab interior.

CRL provides you with over 50 model years of Truck Sliders for virtually any pickup on the road. From the traditional gasket-mounted to the contemporary bonded installation, if you want a slider with better than factory quality, style and function, insist on sliders manufactured by C.R. Laurence.

Frame Measurements: Width 64-3/4 inches (1645 millimeters); Height 18-1/8 inches (460 millimeters).

The product is called a C.R. Laurence POWR-Slider, and should be easily gotten from any decent auto glass shop. If you have any other questions about it, just let me know!

Rob

I was hoping you would read this Rob ... I remember you saying your were into the glass biz. So you think the power extended cab windows wouldn't happen to easy? I guess I forgot that those hinges weren't metal, that does kinda damper my plans ... I guess I will have to look into a little further. Thanks for the info btw I might have to go in that direction with the power rear window. If you hear of any ideas let me know. Thanks again.

TIM

the remote start with the factory remote is very possible... The truck shop here in dallas told me about $90 for the product and install of the hardware... but then they told me you have to press the lock button 3-4 times and wouldnt have that much range.... i didnt like the fact of 3-4 honks before it started, so i decided to get a full alarm system with remote start... it was a bit (lot) money

the remote start with the factory remote is very possible... The truck shop here in dallas told me about $90 for the product and install of the hardware... but then they told me you have to press the lock button 3-4 times and wouldnt have that much range.... i didnt like the fact of 3-4 honks before it started, so i decided to get a full alarm system with remote start... it was a bit (lot) money

I have my 'lock/unlock feedback' set to just my lights flashing .... no horn .... so that wouldn't be a problem for me .... I was just wondering if they were available yet, and it appears they are starting to surface ... Thanks for the info Steve.

BTW ... the one I knew about all you had to do is press and hold the lock & unlock buttons at the same time.

Good call with the long distance starter .... I would probably go that route but I don't want to carry two remotes ... I guess I could probably program the new remote to unlock doors ....

My brother and I set up a kit on my 1996 Silverado with the dropping rear window ... and it worked out pretty slick ... it didn't take up too much room in the extended cab ... and dropped real smoooooth into a false back ... I loved it .... it had 3 stop positions .... cracked - 1/2 - and full open .... good times there. Had the chrome tint on top that faded to deep black limo on the bottom ... kinda set it apart ...

almost every new alarm system ( cause if your are going to spend money might as well get some protection with the remote start) with remote start will unlock the doors, pop the trunk, and it even will other avaliable channels to do other things, like i have a module in mine that when i get out i leave my windows down and walk away and press lock and one other button and it rolls them up (neat little feature, also catches the eye) mine can also be my garage door remote controll built in..... its amazing what these things can do know....

~Steven

pestiege which is the same as persuit alarm systems.... they are the same company just one has a silver remote and one has a black remote... It was kinda expensive but its so awsome.... it even tells me when some opens my hood or what ever someone does to my truck, even if its unballanced from a slashed tire. and if someone opens my bedcover.... it will be a savior one day (hope it wont have to be but ya know)

~Steven

The only thing that I know you could do with those quarter glasses is to go and look at the power hinges on something like a late model Dodge minivan. They have a very small motor/handle, and it might be something that you can make work.....the only problem with our trucks is that there is VERY little room in that door pannel to make it work AND look good! Let me know if I can help!

You are right .... I didn't take into account the 'throw' of the electronic opener ... I will have to acquire one and start doing some concepting ... I was thinking the early dodge vans as well ... maybe even late 90's ... it will take some time to figure out and when I get around to messing with it I will for sure be in touch with you ... thanks for the offer of 'the professional' I will probably take you up on it later (probably summer ... winter time is tough to get motivated :) )

Archived