what do you clean the windshield with???

fox_forma

recently my winshield is getting harder and harder to see out of at night when it is raining. I have put new wiper blades on and tried cleaning it but it just wont go away. When the blades go through there cycle it looks like a film is still there on the driver side and passenger side of the windshield. In the center where the wipers overlap eachothers path it is perfectly clear with none of the haze. What does everyone clean there windshield with and is anyone else having this problem.

If i turn the defroster on high and as hot as it goes, when the wipers move it almost looks like the haze evaperates untill the wipers come back again. I figured there was something on there from washing it but just want to know how to fix this and if anyone else ever delt with this before and how they corrected it.

Thank you

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I wash the truck, the windshield gets a good scrubbing one of those green scrub pads and the soapy water from the bucket to get the bugs off. Then go over it once (or twice if it's the first application) with RainX and once it's dry, RUB it off with a clean dry cloth (make sure you rub, or it might leave a foggy residue)... Works for me everytime, and you won't have to use the wipers quite as much..

I've used rain X before and have some extra in my garage but lately I have been reading bad things about it and how it can eat away at your paint if it get on it. I've tried alcohol before for cleaning it but the residue or whatever it is is still there. Is there some sort of high power stuff that will get all the residue off the window or whatever that stuff is?

Stoner's Invisible Glass and Microfibre towels. It even gets rid of the gassing film from the plastic dash on the inside. It's the best thing I've ever used

I thought it was only available here in the Northeast, but the other day I saw it at AutoZone, so I guess it's nationwide.

I think I saw it at AutoGeeks too..its probably cheaper at A/Z.

Auto body clay works *fantastic* on glass. You can even save and reuse 'old' clay on windows after having served its useful life cleaning your paint job.

The next best thing that has worked for me is a canned aerosol commercial glass cleaner used with newsprint (check the automotive isle at WalMart). DO NOT spray onto the vehicle, instead spray onto newspaper first, then apply paper to windows. Final glass cleaning hint, wipe the inside and outside in differing directions (ie, left-to-right on inside, top-to-bottom on outside) so that during your final pass with newspaper you can tell which side of the windows the streaks are on.

Mr. P. :)

ps - I would not recommend these tips for plastic headlight/taillight lenses, these are best treated with plastic-specific polishes because they are so much softer than glass (look into 3M plastic polishing products).

• 2 months later...

Well I had to start this back up because nothing seems to work. I have tried several products to get my windshield to stop leaving a haze when the wipers go through there cycle. It was raining all night tonight and this is really getting me mad. The Haze is only on the driver and passenger side but it is clear as can be in the center for some reason. If my wipers go through there cycle it leaves a film or something then a few seconds later it clears up, almost like a defroster would. Has anyone had this problem that they were able to correct. It is getting bad and could be dangerous at some point. Someone else has to be having this problem hopefully and have a cure for it. Oh and I've tried 4 different sets of wipers so far and nothing helps

Use "Stoner's Invisibal Glass"

First wash your windshield REALLY good like scrub the shit out of it hard...Then dry it good and spray ALOT (cover the glass with a thick coat) of the Invisible Glass all over your windshield and let it sit for like a minute...IN THE SHADE! wipe it off with a terry cloth or cotton towel..."Microfiber" towels are the best but it doesnt matter...do this 2 or 3 times but the last time only spray a normal amount of the Invisible Glass stuff and use NEWSPAPER to wipe it off...

If it still leaves residue in the rain buy a new windshield lol it doesnt rain alot in So. Cal but if it rains alot were your at then i would just buy a new one it'll be worth it... oh and clean the wiper blades REALLY GOOD when you wash the windshield...

let me know if this works lol

-Shane :thumbs:

It is not a type of rain repellant....it is a wax/polish. I usually wax my glass when I wax my truck!

One other note: I know we were talking about rock chips on another thread....never apply a Rain X product on your w/s if it has a chip....it will keep the resin in the repair process from properly sealing/curing (Rain X and other products are silicone based...and anyone knows who has messed with silicone...once you get it on something, you never get the residue off)!

Archived