408 update

TurbochargedBerserker

I have all the parts but the tranny. Chuck @ FLP kept the tranny a few extra days and really tweaked the hell out of it on his dyno. The new unit will have the billet shafts, a new pump and very custom spring set up by Chuck. Man, I can't wait... I told Chuck I was disappointed in the last tranny because on the 1-2 shift, change sometimes would stay in my pocket... He said he fixed that :lol:

The block is partially assembled and the plan is to finish it off today. So far the crank and cam are in. I'm headed up to the shop to do some wiring and will grab some more pics today as the block comes together.

I ended up with a megasquirt to control fueling, a PLX Wideband (M300), QTP cutout between the turbo and the series 1o race muffler.

I'm going to put the FMIC behind the grill rather than down low -- mounting it in the bottom grill left about 4-5" showing beneath the bumper cover -- as an idea, it hung 1 inch below the plastic water guard between the cross member and the rad member.

Pics coming later today.

I *might* get to drive the truck this week. It will take planetary alignment, luck, and cooperation from the best damn shipping company in the world :sick: -- yep the same shipping company that has tried to deliver the tranny to the wrong address EVERY time lol

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, I can't wait... I told Chuck I was disappointed in the last tranny because on the 1-2 shift, change sometimes would stay in my pocket... He said he fixed that

LOL! :crackup::crackup::crackup:

Can't wait to see that bad boy on the road!!!!! :thumbs: Hope everything goes smoothly for ya from here on out.

Good to hear, Erik. :thumbs:  Sounds like you'll be running before I even have the diagnosis on my motor.  Seems the upcoming racing season has pushed any work for me to the end of a long line.

I'm running into that too... I told the local Chuck that Chuck @ FLP would have the tranny here by Thursday so I wanted the truck on Friday. He said "Uh, I forgot to mention that my first race is next weekend. I won't be here on Thurs or Fri"

:cry::tear::cry:

When I told him I might have to kill him, he offered to work on the motor today :crackup:

Hey James -- I might have to draft you for a horrible task... Driving my truck while I tune it in realtime. I know it would suck, but maybe I can talk you into it? :D

My wife says she will do it for the low throttle stuff but is scared to do the increasing power stuff.

i was beginning to wonder if there would be an update. some have assembled entire cars this fast. your luck so far has been terrible. maybe that means it'll change for the good once it's in.

Sounds good. If all goes well with the trans no-one will be able to eat or drink in your truck either. :D  Mega eh. even after the release of tunes 2bar setup. Oh well the wideband air fuel targeting rocks!

Yeah -- the HPT 2bar set up costs as much as mega... Plus the OS in the 03 SSS is the reason they delayed the release of 1.6 and didn't get fixed. No 2 bar for me until 2.0... And I would have to buy the update, plus pay them $299 to run a 2 bar SD ve table. :icon_bs:

Mega is much cooler :driving:

i was beginning to wonder if there would be an update. some have assembled entire cars this fast. your luck so far has been terrible. maybe that means it'll change for the good once it's in.

Oy. Don't I know it... :banghead::banghead::banghead:

The good news is that with all thats gone on in the build, I should be covered under the bad luck tab for a good 5-10 years on the truck.

I saw my motor today!!  The intake mani wasn't on yet, nor was the windage tray, but other than that, COMPLETE!!!!  :flag:  :cheers:  :cheers:  :D  :jester:  :seeya:

Now, if only the tranny truck was on time  :throwup:

is he hand chiselling the parts for it? :confused:

Archived