Looking for the best tire.

Hunter Lee

Just got my SS on Saturday! Wanted black but found a red demo with 1500 miles. Got a great deal. Anyway, I'm getting a little nervous for this coming winter since I live basically on a mountain. :uhoh: Should I do a snow tire or find a all season. The factory Eagle LS had some mixed reviews. So far they are great on dry/wet pavement. Not looking forward to the first snow fall of the year. The all wheel drive will help, the power/torque wont. Anyone drive in snow yet? Any info will be greatly appreciated :P

Thanks

Lee

Northeast Pennsylvania

I don't think you're going to be able to find a decent snow tire to fit a 20-inch rim size. The really nice performance tires you find in this size usually become excellent skis when run on snow & ice. Your best bet would be to go with a winter tire & wheel set.

May want to read this:

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/severe.html

And this:

http://www.canada.com/calgary/specials/con...mer/021005.html

The Goodyear Eagle LS 275/55SR20 111S is listed at 31.8" overall diameter and 655 rev/mi. That's the target you should shoot for on any replacements to maintain proper speedo calibration. Almost every snow tire you find will be smaller diameter, which means you'll actually be going a little slower than what the speedo says (which is a good thing on snow & ice, IMHO). Another thing to watch for is lower load capacity. I'd stay at least above 100 on this rating (the original tire is rated at 111 which is 2403 lbs at max inflation).

Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snow in 265/70TR16 112T size, which is 30.6" diameter @ 671 rev/mi: load capacity is 2469 lbs, speedo 55 mph = real 53.7 mph, requires 16" rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...on+Ice+%26+Snow

Dunlop Winter Sport M2 in 265/55HR18 108H size, which is 29.5" diameter @ 704 rev/mi: load capacity is 2205 lbs, speedo 55 mph = real 51.2 mph, requires 18" rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...Winter+Sport+M2

Bridgestone Winter Dueler DM-Z2 265/75QR15 112Q, which is 30.6" diameter @ 681 rev/mi: load capacity is 2469 lbs, speedo 55 mph = real 52.9 mph, requires 15" rims.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?ti...er+Dueler+DM-Z2

There are plenty more, just take a look at some of the mfg websites for more information.

Hey guys thanks for all the info! ;) If we have another winter like last year, my best bet might be a set of wheels/ST tires. Atleast now I know what I got myself into, LOL. My last ride was a 1993 Ranger, 4WD, 2 inch lift and 31 inch BF's. The snow was fun then. Creaker, thanks for the great links/info. I won't be towing anything but I guess the trucks weight will have something to do with the tire? Any rim will do as long as the lugs match? Also, any tire will be ok as long as they are correctly rated for the speed/weight? Krambo, I'm about 20 minutes north of Scranton, PA.

Thanks again for all the replies. Met this guy today at A & A Auto, bought a SUPER CHIP for his SS and it wasn't programmed. Had to send to Florida for it. He put throttle bodies and new air intake. Won't this void his warranty?

Lee

Northeast Pennsylvania

Thanks for the welcome BenKey. Not sure if he is a member here. Maybe if he reads this he will speak up. :D I was buying a set of Husky floor mats (need em where I live) and I overheard him complaining, LOL. Asked a few questions about the chip and he left. I should have asked him.

Lee

Hey guys thanks for all the info!   ;) If we have another winter like last year, my best bet might be a set of wheels/ST tires.  Atleast now I know what I got myself into, LOL.  My last ride was a 1993 Ranger, 4WD, 2 inch lift and 31 inch BF's.  The snow was fun then.  Creaker, thanks for the great links/info.  I won't be towing anything but I guess the trucks weight will have something to do with the tire?  Any rim will do as long as the lugs match?  Also, any tire will be ok as long as they are correctly rated for the speed/weight?  Krambo, I'm about 20 minutes north of Scranton, PA.

Thanks again for all the replies.  Met this guy today at A & A Auto, bought a SUPER CHIP for his SS and it wasn't programmed.  Had to send to Florida for it.  He put throttle bodies and new air intake.  Won't this void his warranty?

Lee

Northeast Pennsylvania

Yep, any rim size will do. The 20" rims are mainly for looks and there are a lot of disadvantages to them, especially when it comes to snow & ice. I would try to stay as close to the rated specs of the OEM tire as possible. It's perfectly fine to overkill the specs (increasing load capacity, speed rating, etc.), but I'd be paying close attention if the tires you are looking at have a lower rating in any category.

A perfect example of this are the Brigestone Winter Dueler tires. Those tires are excellent for snow use, probably among the best made for that purpose. But the the Q speed rating means the tire is rated to only 99 mph. Don't go topping out the speed in the SS with those on it. Granted you shouldn't be driving that fast in the first place (and definitely not on snow) but it's something to consider.

One other not so small detail is price. If you don't plan on using these tires too much you probably don't want to sink a lot of money in them. The Dunlops I listed are over $200 per tire, mainly because they fit on 18" rims - and that means they'll retain the look of the SS. The Bridgestone Winter Dueler & Pirelli Scorpions are less than half that price (~$100 each) but they fit on much smaller rims (15" & 16") which means much less expense (for the wheels as well as the tires).

The tires I listed were an attempt to keep the same diameter as OEM, or close to it, as well as the other ratings. If you can get the speedo recalibrated then you can probalby pick & choose whatever tire size you want.

As for the warranty thing - those changes won't necessarily void his warranty. But if something breaks and the changes caused it (or the dealership says they caused it) then he might have trouble getting any repairs done under warranty.

Krambo, I'm about 20 minutes north of Scranton, PA.

Yea, its about an hour and 10 minute drive for me. I travel up that way just about every weekend on my way up to Tug Hill for some snowmobiling in the winter months. Ever been to the Grandview in Gouldsborough? :lol: Looks like a 40 minute drive south of you.

Maybe I see ya around.

Archived