Mc Gaughy's air bag installation

r8rs4lf

Got off work early today and decided to start the install of the kit. I figured I would at least get both upper brackets bolted up before the sun went down. The install of the upper brackets went pretty good. I started on the drivers side and for some odd reason, the passenger side took me a helluva lot longer to do than the drivers side. :confused: When I was drilling the holes on the passenger side, the lower foward hole was in a position where the drill was hard to get level due to the rotor. I figured if worse came to worse, I could just remove the rotor, but I got it without having to remove it. Also something to note, the passenger side bracket did not sit flush against the frame. Either the bracket wasn't flat or the frame wasn't flat. When I went to clamp the bracket down to the frame, it rocked slightly. That also made it hard to line up the holes from the bracket to the frame.

Here is what the kit consisted of besides the hardware.

107930782.jpg

Drivers side

108637656.jpg

108637652.jpg

Passenger side

108637665.jpg

108637672.jpg

I still have to mount and locate the lower bag and bracket. I also have to run the air lines and mount the valve inside the gas door. After I do that, I'll shoot everything black to purty it up and try to prevent any rust. I'm thinking what I did tonight was the hardest part of the installation. Tomorrow should be a breeze!

Late- Alex

Got it all finished up today and it works like a charm! :cool: It gives it about 1" more lift in the rear when aired up to 60psi. It's recommended to keep 5psi in there all the time and no more than 90psi.

108719616.jpg

In this pic, you can see how that lower bracket mounts to the spring pack pin.

108719609.jpg

From the underside.

108719598.jpg

108719589.jpg

About 5psi although this is just right off the jack.

108719579.jpg

About 60psi, although this is right off the jack.

108719574.jpg

Late- Alex

More pics!

Clearance between the tire and bag @ 5 psi.

108719569.jpg

Clearance between the tire and bag @ 60psi.

108719563.jpg

108719555.jpg

Clearance between the bag and frame.

108719546.jpg

"T" fitting in the middle of the bed.

108719540.jpg

This is where I decided to install the valve to air up, out of sight. I do however have to remove the cap to do it. Hopefully that valve won't get in the way when I gas up. :sigh:

108719535.jpg

Late- Alex

Haven't took it out yet. I'm assuming it won't be bottoming out anymore when I fill up and go over a big bump. As for the independent side control, I was worried about that also before I installed it. I was thinking if the "T" fitting wasn't directly in the center of the two bags, one side would air up more than the other. When I aired up, both sides were perfectly even! :thumbs: I've also thought about that on board compressor, but I hardly ever carry heavy things in my bed so that would just be more trouble than it's worth. When I do carry a heavy load, most of the time it will be only to the USC games for some tailgating! :cheers:

Late- Alex

Got back earlier from gassing up and washing it. The ride seems to be a little better than what it was. I can feel the difference. It never bottomed out while I was driving and that makes this whole kit worth while! :D However, I did have more of an obvious rake and that is with just 10psi in the bags. It looked rather ugly IMHO because I'm so used to seeing it the way it was. There was more of a gap in between the rear tires and the fender lip. So, when I got home, I emptied the bags and just pumped enough air inside to see it raise up a tad and then stopped. I went for another ride and it was perfect. I could of also left the rear that way and just raise up the front torsion bars which would have probably gave me a better ride up front. We'll see how everything goes and I might just do that.

Now I can't wait for the sway bars to ship!

Late- Alex

Just got back from my trip to Ensenada, man o' man, some good times!!! :cheers:

As for the air bags, they worked flawlessly! Did exactly what they were meant to do. I had quite a bit of weight in the bed, including a full bag of tools, full socket set from 1/4" to 3/8" to 1/2" drives, spare tire, two coolers filled to capacity, an extra tire for my wife's dads motorhome (the tread came apart from the tire, 13 year old tire), radio, etc., all on 25 psi of air. Basically, it was filled to capacity, not to mention I had a good amount of things inside the cab. It did not hit a bumpstop at all, the whole trip. :D One area of concern was I could hear my front tires rub on very bouncy bumps, but no obvious damage. I'll probably raise the front up just a tad.

As for gas mileage, I thought I did pretty good. I got 15.5 MPG on an overall trip of 409 miles and used 26 gallons of 91. Man that "personal trip" thing is cool! :thumbs:

Things sure have changed in Mexico since last time I was there. There is alot of construction going on, off of the toll road to Ensenada. Alot of new track homes being built now. No more long @$$ u turn right after crossing the border going to Ensenada via the toll road. They built a new ramp that takes you directly to the toll road, basically jumps all the different intersections you had navigate. As for Ensenada itself, it's becoming more and more modernized. Last time I was there, I remember thinking how cool it was that they had a Smart and Final, and some fast food places like here. Now there is a Costco there! :thumbs: It's very good to see that now. As good as it is to see some places that remind me of home, there are still some places that I wish were here like the hole in the wall taco stand we frequent everytime we're in Ensenada. Last count was something like 31 tacos and 1 squirt all for $28.00! :cheers:

Good times, great freinds, and a wonderfull family! We ended up with a total of about 30 people, 2 motorhomes, and about 10 tents, Easily the biggest camp there.

Late- Alex

mexico can be alot of fun. i love the food there. i just dont like going through tj. last time i ended up in jail on the way home :banghead: .I would love to go again as long as i have a native tour guide. :crackup:

mexico can be alot of fun. i love the food there. i just dont like going through tj. last time i ended up in jail on the way home :banghead: .I would love to go again as long as i have a native tour guide. :crackup:

Y eah Mexico is fun I go every year for 1 month Last year we teased the popos with the ss they never cought up with me my buddy dared me to taigate them and then pass them at wot very funny they were driving a beat up dodge truck.

LISTEN YOUR 04 IS SWEET AND IF YOU DON'T MIND HELPING A BOWTIE FAN WITH HIS SS I LIKE TO KNOW IF THE ROLL PAN YOU HAVE ON YOUR TRUCK LINES UP WITH THE FACTORY GROUND EFFECTS AND IF IT DOES CAN YOU TELL ME WHERE CAN I GET ONE FOR MY 03 HIT ME BACK AT GQS#1SS HOLLA BACK

Archived