tried making a gauge pod....

fast4popper

I know its a damn cell phone pic. but I just finished my gauge pod for my boost and fuel pressure gauges. I DONT have the gauges yet but I put the pod in any way.

let me know what you think. I hate the look of a pillar full of gauges. jsut seems kinda cheesy to me. and I already had a screen in my overhead console So i molded one into my rearview mirror. I wanted to do one on each side, but the windshield got in the way... :( so tell me honestly what you think cause I kinda like it but not sure yet...

post-5722-1171591253_thumb.jpg

interesting none the less...i wonder about weight on mirror and vibration braking the mirror or windshield

also wondering about visiblity with it

and better check local laws. i knwo if htey wanted to crack down here anything hanging off mirror is illegal

interesting none the less...i wonder about weight on mirror and vibration braking the mirror or windshield

and better check local laws. i knwo if htey wanted to crack down here anything hanging off mirror is illegal

its not that heavy. it doesnt seem any weaker than it was. as for visability, its behind my overhead console, doesnt cut back on visability at all and as for seeing if from the outside thru the windshield, the windshield is tinted 20% so you cant even see it up there. I wish I had better pics...

thanks for your comment.

its not that heavy. it doesnt seem any weaker than it was. as for visability, its behind my overhead console, doesnt cut back on visability at all and as for seeing if from the outside thru the windshield, the windshield is tinted 20% so you cant even see it up there. I wish I had better pics...

thanks for your comment.

Looks ok. Have you tried to mold any into the top of the dash. Good work on what you have made. I wish I had those skills :thumbs:

the holes themselves are PVD pipe. 2 inch. just open them up a lil bit with a dremel to fit the 2 1/16th gauges. I the epoxied them into place and made sure they would fit and be visible. after that I stretched some speaker grill cloth on them so get the shape and added resin. waited a day and then cleaned the heck out of it with MEK. then added claw glass and sanded smooth. finally I mixed resin and bondo to form a paste and then added hardener to be able to brush it on and fill in all the minor imperfactions. then sanded smooth to 400 grit paper and finally I used Rust-o-leum rattle can paint. its for outdoor furniture but is called texture spray. it came out great I think. now I just have to wire it up and get the gauges in... i will post better pics as soon as its up and runnin.

thanks for all the compliments. I know its hard to see in the pics, but I am starting to think I like it. its a lil different and a lil more custom than a gauge pod in the pillar

Has anyone ever thought of a heads up display for gauges? Yeah I know it's a crazy idea but would be neat to see. I like the sleeper look and it would be cool to have the digital display on a good spot on the windshield. Post pics when you get your gauges installed. :cheers:

Has anyone ever thought of a heads up display for gauges? Yeah I know it's a crazy idea but would be neat to see. I like the sleeper look and it would be cool to have the digital display on a good spot on the windshield. Post pics when you get your gauges installed. :cheers:

I will post pics when its up and finished. as for a HUD, I would LOVE that. or if you could do a digital readout behind your mirror glass like the temp compass?? that would be slick too..