Building an SVT killer

I am planning on building a Lightning killer from an 04 reg cab 5.3. I just need to know, before I go buy the truck, if the suspention, t-case, front diff, etc from the SS will bolt right up to the reg cab 4x4, or am I better off with 2wd. This thing is going to have a lot of power and the AWD will give me a great advantage over the SVT's. Also, hows the daily driving and highway cruising for those of you with the 2600-3000 stall converters?

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a great project. I've been thinking about that one too.

If I was to guess, I'd say that the front/rear differential are the same between SSs and regular 4x4s as long as you get the 4.10 gearing and the rear locking diff.

The AWD transfer case and maybe a driveshaft would have to be added.

A belltech lowering kit could handle the stance of the truck.

This 4x4 truck is lowered 2/3 with belltech.

456945_4_full.jpg

Zippy will probably add to this post, maybe we can get the details sorted out.

i wouldn't use the awd from the ss or it's front diff if i were building one. i'd personally go 2wd, but if you did go 4wd, get it with the autotrak transfercase, 4.10 gear, and locking diferential. that will offer the same ore more traction as the ss. next, just add some tire. i do recomend the plow prep package for the larger alternator and higher spring rate in the front. it's a very doable package that can be damn fast if done right.

better idea=02 lightning, 22k

6lb lower=$299

accufabtb=$450

bassani cat back=$499

mid 12's

how much were you planning on spending to acheive your dream?

I would personally enjoy my incredibly-fast-for-what-it-is ss

but don't mind me

I'm a 15 sec ford guy

The AWD would not give you an advantage over a 4x4 in a drag race situation, except for maybe a weight advantage. But if you want the traction of AWD at all times go for it. All you will need is the T-case and maybe get some driveshaft work done. The diffs are the same, but the passenger side uses a 1 piece non selectable axle. You do not need this to make the AWD work. All you would have to do is make sure that the axle is engaged at all times.

that's correct about the awd not being better than the 4x4. the awd is more likely to slip the coupler than a 4wd. a 2wd with a sticky tire and suspension work is the better way to go though.

If you want AWD, you NEED to start with a 4x4 truck.

If straightline acceleration is all you care about, then 2WD would be best.

However, AWD has the benefit over AutoTrac 4x4 and 2WD in that it's always on and can slip a little, which gives it better handling even on dry pavement.

I am seriously considering to convert my truck's manual 4x4 t-case to AWD with the NVG149 transfer case. Another consideration I've had, is dropping in a BW4484 t-case. It's 60/40 open diff AWD, which means it can't redirect power to the wheels with traction like the NVG149 can. However, it DOES have 50/50 4Hi Lock and 50/50 4Lo Lock. I don't really know how much of a role the viscous coupler plays in real world situations since many AWD cars have an open diff t-case yet have no problems in snow.

with an auto-trak, in auto 4wd mode it turns just fine.

That's because in Auto 4x4 mode, it is in 2WD (transfer case disengaged) unless slip is detected. It is basically just a computer that intelligently switches between 2WD and 4Hi Lock automatically. There is no automatic power transfer or handling benefit as in the SS viscous coupled AWD.

...Another consideration I've had, is dropping in a BW4484 t-case. It's 60/40 open diff AWD, which means it can't redirect power to the wheels with traction like the NVG149 can. However, it DOES have 50/50 4Hi Lock and 50/50 4Lo Lock. I don't really know how much of a role the viscous coupler plays in real world situations since many AWD cars have an open diff t-case yet have no problems in snow.

That sounds cool! I like the idea of a 50/50 lock. What truck does that transfer case come from? Is the 60/40 front/rear or rear/front?

It's 60 rear, 40 front. The BW4484 transfer case comes only in the Hummer H2. In the H2 it does have the ability to transfer power away from the wheels that slip to the wheels with traction, but that's accomplished by the ABS active braking that holds the slipping wheels. That would probably be a bit complicated to implement in an older truck.

It's 60 rear, 40 front. The BW4484 transfer case comes only in the Hummer H2. In the H2 it does have the ability to transfer power away from the wheels that slip to the wheels with traction, but that's accomplished by the ABS active braking that holds the slipping wheels. That would probably be a bit complicated to implement in an older truck.

So let me take a stab at this...

In 60/40 mode you can have full range of steering without damage (on dry pavement), but not in the 50/50 modes?

If three wheels were on ice and only a front wheel had traction then that wheel would still only get 20% of the power in 60/40 and 25% in the 50/50 modes? The others would just spin right? Would they spin at a higher rate than the one with traction?

Would that be a safe scenario?

In 60/40 mode you can have full range of steering without damage (on dry pavement), but not in the 50/50 modes?

That's right. In 50/50 mode, the transfer case is locked up. The transfer case will bind just like a regular 4x4. 60/40 is just an open differential so front and rear axles can rotate at different speeds, therefore no binding on dry pavement.

If three wheels were on ice and only a front wheel had traction then that wheel would still only get 20% of the power in 60/40 and 25% in the 50/50 modes?  The others would just spin right? Would they spin at a higher rate than the one with traction?

What SSilverado60 said is correct... 3 wheels on ice, 1 with traction, in 60/40 mode all power will go to the axle with least traction (the rear) and to the wheel with least traction. Probably only 1 wheel would be spinning, the one with least traction. So 0% goes to the wheel with traction. In that scenario, even the NVG149 in the SS has no benefit because it can only redirect power from front to rear. The front still has an open diff, so even in the SS probably the front tire on ice would get all the power.

In 50/50 locked mode, each axle will always get 50% power no matter what. Now if 3 wheels are on ice and only 1 has traction, you better hope that wheel with traction is a rear wheel. Since the front differential itself is an open diff, it will send power to the wheel with least traction. The rear on most of these trucks has a G80 locker, so if slip occurs, the axle will lock and if one wheel on the rear has traction, it will get power.

In a way, if you can implement the ABS active braking traction control system from the Hummer, then in 60/40 mode the brakes will hold the wheels with no traction and force power to the wheel that has traction. This is in a way better than the NVG149 because it would be possible to direct power to just one of the front wheels.

Good luck getting that trans to bolt to the 4L60E...

Hummer H2 uses a 4L65-E which I'm almost certain uses the same transfer cases as the 4L60-E, so the BW4484 should bolt on. I don't know whether it's compatible with Silverado driveshafts though. You'd have to count splines to know for sure.

Archived