STOCK EXHAUST MODIFICATIONS

SPEEDCRAVIN

Has anyone done the same? I took my stock exhaust cat-back section off and cut the top muffler shield off and cut open the stock muffler and pulled all the baffles out. It now has no restrictions!! It now sounds great, and I can really feal a gain!! The only thing that I dont like about it is at about 2000 rpm it has a slight resenance noise. This noise is a lot better than the flowmaster exhaust it had on my 454 ss truck, so I am very happy. This has been the best bang for the buck so far!! ***Sorry about talking mods without a picture, but I am working on that as I just bought a new camera!! :thumbs:

When i pulled off the shield and cut the top of the muffler open it had baffles made of cross tubes and plates holding these tubes together. As both exhaust banks enter in the muffer they enter a chamber that join both exhaust sides together then exit that chamber through one pipe into the next chamber. This pipe is smaller that the exhaust pipes entering the muffler, so it really restricts the flow. Then it enters the last chamer, a total of three. The muffler has two exhaust pipes exiting, only the one that comes out at an angle joining the main tail pipe is fake!!!!! It leads to inside the muffler that does not get any exhaust lead into it. The only way exhaust gasses could get into this chamber is to flow backwards, back into the muffler but then has no where to go!! The only thing i can think of is this must be a way to deaden any resonense noise.

Thanks for the info. When you are describing the chambers and pipes inside, I picture something like this, correct?: (I know its not exact, and no extra holes cut into it).

FPbigmuffler.jpg

Then one of the outlets has a dummy chamber, so all gas flows through the one outlet.

Since you've seen the inside, if I opened up the lid, would it be possible just to modify the single closed up chamber to allow flow?

**BIGTEX** I still have the guts from the inside the muffler that you could look at if you wanted to. If you are thinking of opening up that last chamber i dont think you would gain anything beside more resenance. The problem with the muffler is when the two pipes come in the front, they exit to the second chamber through one pipe that is smaller than it should be. Its about 2.5 inches in diam. If your in the dallas area i could meet you somewhere to show you the guts and you could hear how it sounds!! Also if your going to the tune rally this saturday!! Just let me know!!!

I wish, at least in the Houston area, area trucks could get together one day with all the different exhaust modifications from all brands: Flo-Pro, Magnaflow, Corsa, Borla, Gibson, etc., etc., just so that a real comparison could be done.

Archived