Transmission build-up

I spent my lunch hour today working a plan to build-up my tranny. Not necessarily to any future hp gain, but just to try and keep somewhat safe with what I have. I don't believe that there is any special magic with one comapny or the other with getting a beefed up tranny. I believe it is all in the parts. Although companies like FLP produce some of their own parts, a good portion of any parts use come from the same companies that you and I can order from.

I found a tranny shop that has a good reputation with our local speed shop. They will install the parts I get. The guy I spoke with knew our tannys very well and told me the items that needed upgrading. He told me it would be cheaper to get the parts myself. So, I also spent time on the phone with the company that carries all of the parts I need and this is the list they recommend:

#11X

#14XXE

#44X

#45P

#L65S - Neither recommended, but it could be worth it.

Here's the site link: Performance Automotive and Transmission Center

Zippy, or anyone else, what do you think about the parts list? Sound about right? Anything else? I may order this stuff today.

Keeping in mind, I already have the shift kit parts installed.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1x i agree with the servo, you already had one though and i can get that for you way cheaper.

6x this is a good part, but i believe the 4L65E (not positive) has this already.

11x these work well, but personally i recomend the stock drum with a raybestos kevlar pro series band. sometimes the wide band doesn't apply evenly and wears faster because of it.

14xxe these are the plates i use and recomend, but for the 4L65E, you should be using the 8 plate kit which is stronger (the reason the the 4L65E has 8 stock).

38 i also use these, good part.

41 fairly new part that i haven't tried yet, but plan to on my next build.

44x decent part, but the one in a 4L65E isn't much of a problem.

45 nice parts, but not much of an improvement over 4L65E parts from the factory. (huge improvement on older 4L60E's and down though).

45p same as above...

i get pretty much the same parts from a local place a little cheaper since i'm a regular customer.

they could be correct on the 6x, that i don't recall off hand on. sorry on the band thing, i was thinking 11, not 11x. 11x is what i use in mine also. recomending the 6 clutches over the 8 i think is rediculous since they offer the 8 kit though, i have no idea why they do that.

i don't see the hardend output shaft, but honestly i don't see the stock one breaking except in a rare occasion.

Zippy, hit the link above and check out the 6 plate, versus 8 plate price for the blue plates. They added to their website after I told them it was different. They're looking now to see if the drum for the torque drive package now has to be different also.

it's kinda new. the 8 plate 3-4 blue plate kit has been out for a bit, but now they are coming with the steels. the blue clutches are about the best street clutches you can get and if you use the coated steels such as comes stock in the 4L65E 3-4 clutches (lindererd coated) they'll wear out fast. the kit should now come with their own matched steels to prevent this.

Just got everything ironed out. The Raybestos 8-plates will work with the new drum I would be getting also. Come to find out, didn't need the 44X, the stock tranny already has. This will put the tranny all on bearings now, so much less friction.

Ordered all of the parts today, including a set of rebuild manuals and 3 gallons of the supershift racing ATF. The ATF claims a 35 degree cooler running temp - we'll see.

Decided against the billet servo. My tranny already bangs hard enough.

it can be programmed to shift smoother under light throttle applications, but i understand. not everyone likes the "if it didn't break it must not be shifting hard enough" theory. :jester: good to hear you're getting close to ready. what all did they tell you about the clutch set?

I don't understand the HUGE difference, but from what Zippy has put up and from what the company has told me is that the set now comes with it's own matched steels. I guess the stock steels make them wear quicker? The 6-plate kit only came with the clutch plates - no steels. Is it worth it for that? I don't know.

i'd say so. the main problem is most guys use kolene or lindered coated type steels (lindered being factory on the 4L65E 3-4 steels only) steels which wear the blue clutches really fast. overall, the price comes out about the same or just a bit more with buying steels for the 6 clutch set up and clutches.

That makes more sense. From the website, it sounds like its just adding 2 more clutches. With the 6 pack, you'd need to add some steels, but the 8 pack comes with matched steels. Cool.

Ben, are you going to do this in your garage?

Take out stock parts going in your attic? :)

Archived