New To The Ss, What To Look For When Buying

BSt.G

I'm looking at a 2003 SS that is for sale close to me with 60,000 miles, what are the major problems/issues to look for with a 2003? What major service needs to be completed at this mileage? What things go wrong with higher mileage ones after this point? It looks like there are some recalls on it, what recalls should be completed on it?

If there is an existing thread/FAQ with this info, please point me to it.

Thanks,

Benjamin

Edited by BSt.G (see edit history)

I probably shouldn't say this because I am sure I am jinxing my self, but I have a 2003 with 107,000 miles. I bought it when it had 64,000 and since I owned it I only had to replace the catylitic converter and a tire rod. The guy who had the truck before me took very good care of it and had no major problems. As far as maintenence goes I have a reliable/honest mechanic change my oil with Mobil one synthetic every 4,000 miles, and he will do a full inspection each time the oil is change. I also changed my spark plugs at about 90,000 miles. I also ALWAYS use 91 octane. The truck runs just as good a new one. However, I won't rod on it as much as when I first got it to extend the longevity of my transmition.

Good luck, and welcome to the site.

Edited by SS Silv (see edit history)

03-04 front differential are prone to bearing failure, axle and carrier. bad batch from suppler some have had no issues on them, some have had to replace them. only other has been the gauge cluster goes bad on some. other than that not to much to complain about..

:seeya:

Thanks for the info, guys. On the front Diff, is it pretty obvious when the bearings are going, noise and/or feeling? How do I test for the steering clunk, and what needs to be fixed if it has it? And does the cluster completely go, or just part of it?

Thanks again for the help,

Benjamin

Thanks for the info, guys. On the front Diff, is it pretty obvious when the bearings are going, noise and/or feeling? How do I test for the steering clunk, and what needs to be fixed if it has it? And does the cluster completely go, or just part of it?

Thanks again for the help,

Benjamin

You will hear a groaning noise from the front end when the diff is going bad. The steering shaft will make a clunking noise/vibration when turning, and a vibration/noise can occur when driving in a straight line too. The guage cluster don't usually blank out totally.....the little stepper motors on each guage can malfunction and go haywire.........

Thanks again for the info, guys. So on the three major possible issues, the symptoms, and the solution:

1. Gauge cluster: stepper motors can individually go bad, but there is a TSB or recall and the cluster will be replaced at no cost.

2. Front diff bearing failure: there will be a "groaning" noise coming from the front if they are starting to go. Is there a TSB or recall for this, or is fixed at the owner's expense?

3. Steering clunk: There will be a clunking noise and/or vibration from the steering wheel when turning or possibly in a straight line. Solution is to replace or lube a part, and I'm assuming that is at the owner's expense based on the petitions for a recall?