Cracked Accumulator Piston - READ NOW

Guys installing shift-kits, do yourselves a favor and spend the extra ten bucks to replace this part. I had ordered a new one to have installed during my tranny work anyway, with all the talk of cracking them on LS1Tech. Luckily, I replaced it before it went completely. Here are the pics:

102_0231.JPG

Not a great pic, but you can see the three cracks around the hole.

102_0232.JPG

For some reason, almost all of the little round dots you see were almost all worn off. They are usually, like 1/32" high bumps. This happening also left chunks of plastic in my accumulator housing.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

thanks for the info, I have heard about the cracking too but to actuall see how the part cracks is cool. WHat does the replacement look like? is it metal? I hope the rest of your rebuild goes smoothly...

Hey ben,

i was wondering about the "bog" everyone is talking about and what is the cause of this piece cracking. is it from the shift kit or servo. please elaborate on why it fails and symtoms when it does. where is that one that broke on yours located at in the tranny.

thanks

working on that part number. i should know for sure tomorrow or friday. i ordered both versions and neither have shown up yet. i'll try to post the part number that i believe it should be in the morning. didn't get much accomplished today.

SuperSport - To be honest I'm not sure what makes it go. Basically, I think it's just a plastic piece stuck in a metal forrest and it's going to eventually go. My tranny guy said that he sees many of them just like that and it is very common. Not sure if the shift kit is causing, or not.

Mine never actaully failed, although on the verge. The only symptoms I know of are the ones you mention, but I hadn't reached that stage yet. My 1-2 under WOT, snapped your neck pretty good. Maybe that is the cause - the banging shifts?

It comes out of the accumulator housing. It's the round thing that stands out in the back left corner of your tranny if looking from underneath.

Not sure of the part # myself. I actaully ordered the wrong one. There are two of them that look very similar and both go in the housing. The parts place I used didn't know either, or I would have gotten the right piece. Get with Zippy, he was looking up the part # the other day and may have.

Ben

so this affects the 1-2 shift right. I was wondering if that's my problem because after i lowered my truck it didn't shift as close to as hard as it use to. i might have just cracked it but only noticed after i got the lowering kit on. if so i didn't last to long i only had the shift lit in there maybe 500 miles.

So just so i have it right, if i pull the pan off, it is inside the round cylinder shaped thing at the back left of the tranny. i remeber pulling it apart for the shift kit, but want to make sure that's the one and not the one you have to take the valve body off to get to.

Does anyone have a part number for this? Shift kit and billet servos are going in next week. I would like to take care of this then.

Are you still doing the shift kit this weekend? DId you find the part number? It it on one of bens post about the trans rebuild? I am in MI and would love to stop by and watch? or take the pictures so both of your faces can pop up on SSS.com :D:D

Drop me a PM Todd-thanks

joe

hey zippy,

i think everyone is thankful for you checking out the part #s for us, hopefully you will get them soon. if you wouldn't mined telling me where you got it form and how much would be great. i am curious to see if mine is broken.

Archived