What are the best Spark Plugs and Plug Wires

I am interested to know what you ssers think are the best plugs to put on our truck. I am going to install the supermaxx headers and need to remove the plugs to do so. I figured since I had them off I might as well upgrade those as well as the wires. Give me your thoughts.

I use NGK Copper Core TR5's and replace them every 20K or so. As for wires, I've heard alot of good comments on the Taylor Thundervolt wires, but I haven't tried them. ;)

For NA, NGK TR-55. For blown or nitrous, TR-6. A good all around plug that is about $2 each, or less. Or, you can do like I did and opt for the iridium version for about $6 per plug. You would add an IX to the tale end of the number for those.

I think the irridiums are the way to go. What about wires what are you using.

I don't really believe the iridium hype. I felt that my application warranted the use. Being blown and having a head ported to the point where the plug just barely makes it into the combustion chamber, I decided on iridium. The main reason was that for short reach plugs, the NGK UR-6IX is about the best out there.

I use magnecor wires.

Iridium/platinum for longevity. May the increase be ever so slight, Copper for performance. As for TR5/TR55, correct me if I'm wrong, but I've always thought higher compression=smaller gap. The TR5's have a recommended gap of .035, the TR55's .050. That's why I went with the TR5. My SS idles like a sewing machine with the TR5's. Is the TR55 with a .050 gap better? :confused: Then again, maybe it's just my nature to prefer a smaller gap. :rolleyes:

• 1 month later...

Can anyone list the part #'s for plug wires? It's hard searching through jegs anmd summit to find ones for our trucks. I would prefer the Taylors. I had excellent results with them on my Camaro.

Archived