Sunroof Problem

Fireman31

I have been having an issue the last few weeks with my sunroof not being able to close all the way. It takes 2 people to close it by pressing forward on the glass and hitting the switch at the same time. I finally got a chance to check it out yesterday, figuring that the tracks needed some grease. Well to my surprise, I found this......

Passenger Side

HPIM1233-2.jpg

Drivers Side

HPIM1237-2.jpg

Yes, the arms that support the glass have massive cracks in them. :mad: My sunroof will be staying closed now, as I do not feel it is safe to be driving with it open, since there is the possibility that the glass could totally break off while I am driving. :uhoh: I have done some research here on the forum and the web, and it looks like the entire sunroof assembly will have to be replaced, since the arms are not sold separately. Looks like an expensive trip to the dealer is in order....I will swing by there this morning to try and get prices. I like my sunroof, and it kills me that I can't use it now!!!!!

I love my truck to death and never plan to get rid of her, but the stupid :icon_bs: that keeps happening is really getting annoying, and since my warranty is long past expired, the bills are really starting to add up. :banghead: Being 3 years old and only having 47k on the clock, this stuff should not be happening! :freak:

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

:rant:

Well, just got back from the dealer, I am disgusted what it will cost to fix the sunroof. The sunroof track/motor/drain assembly minus the glass(since the glass gets re-used) is $832!!!! :eek::puke:

F that! I just pulled the sunroof fuse under the hood, now it is a skylight until I have the funds to repair it. With labor, it will cost roughly $1300-1500 to have the dealer repair the sunroof. :nonod::ughdance:

Edited by Fireman31 (see edit history)

Well, just got back from the dealer, I am disgusted what it will cost to fix the sunroof. The sunroof track/motor/drain assembly minus the glass(since the glass gets re-used) is $832!!!! :eek::puke:

F that! I just pulled the sunroof fuse under the hood, now it is a skylight until I have the funds to repair it. With labor, it will cost roughly $1300-1500 to have the dealer repair the sunroof. :nonod::ughdance:

Thats a rip....I payed $1100 for a new one installed with a life time warranty as long as I own the truck...The only downside is a company in Dallas out it in so I would have a drive to consider but hell its worth it...

I rarely use my sunroof any way.

Yep they are spendy! Had the one in the wife's Impala replaced a few months ago for about the same price...luckily it was covered under the extended warranty.

well i dont have s.roof but can you just pop it open for like a vent like most cars do? would that still cause a problem?

I can't pop it because it will not close, I wish I could...once the sunroof slides forward to the point where it is supposed to come back down, it hangs up and will not close. It takes 2 people pushing in on it and holding the button to get it closed...

FYI-it is easy to replace the sunroof assy, do it yourself. heck ill do you one better, come to kc, ill get you employee discount on the part and replace it for nothing!

I wish I had the money to fix it. I appreciate the offer Shaun, but that's one hell of a drive for me to fix a sunroof.....if I lived closer I would take you up on it.

i have a similar issue,my sunroof only goes into the vent position...it doesnt open all the way like its supposed to :mad: .i live in houston and theres not any sunroof shops except for one that i know but they are always booked :( everytime i go

just had mines replaced (2000 miles over warranty), luckily the dealership hooked me up. they saw the damage (rusted and broke off) and realized it didnt happen overnight so they replaced it for free. you should look into a extended warranty for that price! good luck!

What about a locat junkyard? I know that the SS's are EXTREMELY rare there, but 99% sure that isn't the only vehicle GM put that sunroof in. Maybe just a regular silverado, or some GM cars. Look online and see if there is an interchange number on the sunroof. It's worth a try.

Dan, I would get a second opinion on this one. We just did one this week with the same issue. I think he was able to get just the arms but im not positive. As far as the repair time it only takes a few hours. Fairly common problem with these from what I am seeing.

Dan, I would get a second opinion on this one. We just did one this week with the same issue. I think he was able to get just the arms but im not positive. As far as the repair time it only takes a few hours. Fairly common problem with these from what I am seeing.

My service writer said it was replaced as a unit, not able to buy just the arms. :dunno:

For that price, you can get a better one installed with a lifetime warranty. That's what I have. It also won't slide out, instead inside and unseen. I personally think the factory sunroofs like like sh*t, that's why I went aftermarket, but then again, sunrrofs weren't available when I got mine.