track ediquet

Xero

im going to thompson raceway, thompson ohio, next weekend. this will be the first time ever that i will be racing the 1/4 mile, outside of street racing, and i was wondering what to do? do i have to do a burnout? any information would be very helpful since im in the dark about the whole thing! i dont know what im doing and really need some pointers.

nick

Go around the water box. Then spin your tires over just enough to clean them.(Dont smoke them because, radials get slicker when there heated)now you can get staged.There will be two little light's at the top of the tree.pre staged and staged.. When you see the third yellow GO!!If you wate for green you will be late and have a bad reaction time.

Good luck

good luck.... just keep taking speed or whatever it is you do that makes you like a humming bird on too much caffine..... :jester:

no one will be able to beat u if you move as fast as you post :D

Maybe just forget the truck and RUN as fast as you can!!!!!

C'mon kid... we're just giving ya a hard time cuz your first series of posts on this board were giving people nervous breakdowns. :jester: BTW: Thanks for loosing that yellow font in your sig. :thumbs:

As far as the track.... just pay attention to what the guy ahead of you does.... avoid the waterbox and like someone else said don't smoke the tires. A slight burnout will be enough to clean em off and warm em up. You'll get the hang of it.... when i doubt ask someone..... most people at a race will be happy to give a newbie some pointers.

GOOD LUCK! :D

seriously....im really not too pleased with all of you making fun of me, please stop!

newbie's are herrassed alot. it won't last too much longer. it's kinda testing ya.

as for your truck and racing it. if you can drive around the water box, do so and back the rear tires into the water, but dont do the burnout there. (also never do the burnout before the guy tells you to) doing so with treaded tires sprays water on the rear quarters and drips that on the starting line for the next guy. just pull a few feet forward of the box, powerbrake it just for a few seconds then spin them about 7-10 feet. you're trying to build a little heat in them, but not much. mostly you're going for a new and clean rubber surface on the tire. if you have to drive through the water box do so, but try to avoid it. with tires as large as yours, run the front to the max psi and the rear i'd start at 30 and slowly bring them down some if traction is a problem. go no lower than 18. check them cold though since after your run they will be about 3-4 higher. when you come up to the staging beam, nose the tires in to turn on the first light and wait for the other guy to turn on both of his. next, nose it forward as little as possible to just barely trip the next beam and you should now be complete staged. from there try different lauch procedures. off idle, 1200rpm load, and 1500rpm load. watch your 60' times on the slips to see what works better. one of the most important things is to keep the damn truck cool. allow the temps to get cold between runs and don't idle it while waiting to run. the colder the engine is, the faster it's going to be. you want to pull up to do the burnout at between 140 and 160 degrees. good luck and post your results.

yea thanks for the advice, and im not hyper. im just lazy. periods suck! and hazing is hazing but when u tell someone to drive there truck into a brick wall at 90, thats different! but um. my neighbor, i dunno if uve ever heard of him. he was the nhra e.t. record holder from 64-67 his names gene schwartz. he told me to just barrel trhought the water box, and go on the 3rd yellow lgiht. i know what he means, ive just never done it. so you inch up till the prestage and stage lights are set, wait from the other guy to do the same, and than yellow, yellow, yellow...on that yellow go? isnt that illegal? arnt you suposta go on the green? if i went on green would my et be shitty?

Archived