What's underneath

dcairns

For those of you who don't want to dig around in the snow and ice to see what is underneath your SS, hear are a few pics for you :cheers:

Some have complained of rust, and I must say, this does seem rather excessive. The bolts on my '91 S-10 suspension don't look this bad :confused: Seems odd that it would be a chore to get a bolt off a new truck because of the rust and corrosion.

rusty.JPG

rustycloseup.JPG

Here is the transfer case. Forward drive shaft visible in the lower left, dual exhaust to the right.

xfercase.JPG

The rear drive shaft is massive!

driveshaft.JPG

Here are the dual pipes coming into the muffler. Rear driveshaft running across the top.

dualpipes.JPG

Here is the rear of the muffler. Those desiring a true dual exhaust could just cut the Y off and fabricate the rear duals. But I don't think there is much to gain. The pipes look huge

exhaustypipe.JPG

Here is the inside veiw of the rear wheel. It is interesting the spokes attach on the outside and don't really show how wide the wheels are.

rearwheel.JPG

This is the spare. At least it is painted and not rusting :P .

spare.JPG

Geeezzz, there is quite a bit of surface rust on those parts. Looks like there was absolutly no protection applied i.e. coatings, just bare metal surface. The supplier for those parts should have made some kind of effort to protect them from rust. Is the rust on just certain components? I know the trucks sat outside during winter days here waiting for shipment, how long I don't know.

To bad GM didnt put on true duals from the factory.

do you mean 2 outlets because it is true duels all the way back out of the muffler and then it goes into a y and a single tip. :chevy:

:crazy: I may be a little crazy but I put the SS up on my lift and detailed the under side. I painted all the services that were left to rust. POR makes a paint that will capture rust, it works very well. All these area's of rust can be cleaned up at this point with a little elbo grease. I think that I will be modifying a Corvette spair tire fiberglass surrownd for the SS. I think that it will need to be larger, that can be done by sectioning it. Then paint it to match, that way the tire will not show from the back. :thumbs:

:crazy: I may be a little crazy but I put the SS up on my lift and detailed the under side. I painted all the services that were left to rust. POR makes a paint that will capture rust, it works very well.

I was thinking about the same thing. I have some spray paint that is supposed to convert rust to a protective covering. I need to check the can and see if it will harm rubber parts, though. Wouldn't want to melt away the rubber boots. :eek:

Archived