thermostat

bigbl62

This is a pretty easy change. You need a 10mm long socket, extension, and ratchet.

1) Decide if you mind getting coolant everywhere and if you do, drain the radiator

2) The thermostat housing on these trucks bolts directly to the water pump. On the 03's its accessible behind the stock fan, not sure on the 04's but can't imagine its terribly different.

3) just pop out the two bolts (make sure everything is cold)

4) grab the neck of the housing and wiggle it off -- its probably heat-sealed to your water pump. You want to be careful -- there's an o-ring in there and your thermostat should have a replacement, but might not. You don't want to shred the old O-ring in case you need it.

5) If you didn't drain the radiator, try to keep the thermostat housing pointed up :)

6) pull out the old thermostat (will either be in the water pump still, in the housing, or on your right foot)

7) put some silicon grease on the O-ring and set it in the little o-ring groove. The grease will keep the o-ring in the right place as you reassemble so it doesn't get squished (i.e. wrecked) as you tighten it down.

8) line up the housing and tighten her down -- don't go norwegian tight -- the bolts have a tendancy to break under norwegian conditions :happysad: )

9) If you are standing in a pool of coolant, start her up and check the level. If you aren't refill the radiator and start her up

10) check for leaks.

11) curse when you find one.

:seeya:

This is a pretty easy change.  You need a 10mm long socket, extension, and ratchet.

1) Decide if you mind getting coolant everywhere and if you do, drain the radiator

2) The thermostat housing on these trucks bolts directly to the water pump.  On the 03's its accessible behind the stock fan, not sure on the 04's but can't imagine its terribly different.

4) grab the neck of the housing and wiggle it off -- its probably heat-sealed to your water pump.  You want to be careful -- there's an o-ring in there and your thermostat should have a replacement, but might not.  You don't want to shred the old O-ring in case you need it.

5) If you didn't drain the radiator, try to keep the thermostat housing pointed up :)

6) pull out the old thermostat (will either be in the water pump still, in the housing, or on your right foot)

7) put some silicon grease on the O-ring and set it in the little o-ring groove.  The grease will keep the o-ring in the right place as you reassemble so it doesn't get squished (i.e. wrecked) as you tighten it down.

8) line up the housing and tighten her down -- don't go norwegian tight -- the bolts have a tendancy to break under norwegian conditions  :happysad: )

9) If you are standing in a pool of coolant, start her up and check the level.  If you aren't refill the radiator and start her up

10) check for leaks.

Excellent instructions :smash:

one more thing. get it warm by either driving it around or just letting it run and release the pressure at the overflow a few times. this will help the air bleed out and keep the gauge fluctuation out. it'll take a few trips to get it all out.

bigbl62 It's really as simple as Beserker said (excellant instructions btw ;) ) The only thing I'd add is I removed the intake tube and MAFS just to have more hand room :smash:

As for as draining;when you remove the radiator hose from the t-stat housing the system will drain down to that point.No need in draining the whole block.My 04 had an "old style" t-stat not the one made into the housing :wtf: What where they thinking? Took about 30 min then test drive :driving:

By the way bigbl62,,,,nice choice of color :thumbs:

Good Luck :seeya: WP

ps;be sure to check your differential grease,,, on both ends.

• 3 weeks later...
This is a pretty easy change.  You need a 10mm long socket, extension, and ratchet.

2) The thermostat housing on these trucks bolts directly to the water pump.  On the 03's its accessible behind the stock fan, not sure on the 04's but can't imagine its terribly different.

4) grab the neck of the housing and wiggle it off -- its probably heat-sealed to your water pump.  You want to be careful -- there's an o-ring in there and your thermostat should have a replacement, but might not.  You don't want to shred the old O-ring in case you need it.

7) put some silicon grease on the O-ring and set it in the little o-ring groove.  The grease will keep the o-ring in the right place as you reassemble so it doesn't get squished (i.e. wrecked) as you tighten it down.

8) line up the housing and tighten her down -- don't go norwegian tight -- the bolts have a tendancy to break under norwegian conditions  :happysad: )

9) If you are standing in a pool of coolant, start her up and check the level.  If you aren't refill the radiator and start her up

10) check for leaks.

Well put and funny especially since my family is from Norway!!

Yes there is, it is just hard to see.  It is on the drivers side on the bottom of the radiator.  You have to look for it.

Have you actually used it?? I looked really hard to find one on mine and couldn't. It feels like it's supposed to be there but there is nothing to open. :confused:

Archived