Dumping the exhaust...

marc_w

Guys,

I've been considering picking up another muffler. I know compared to the stock system, I should have about twice the exhaust flow... but I can't help but think it's a little restricted because it's so quiet, and because of the "wimpy looking" 2.125" tailpipes. I'm also a sucker the clean look of a hidden exhaust.

It might be something I only swap out to head to the track, or cruise around with when a huge car show takes over the local city for a few days in the summer months.

I'm thinking of simply getting a Magnaflow or equivalent with dual 2.5 in, to dual 2.5 out, with short turndowns before the axle. Something nice and simple like that.

Noise and resonation aside, what are the cons to doing this?

Do I have to worry much about condensation and fumes from the exhaust causing corrosion or rust under the truck? (It will only be used in the nice warm months)

How about heat from the exhaust when sitting in traffic or just driving in general? I don't want the wax on my frame melting. ;)

A friend of mine is trying to talk me out of it - he says he did that to an older car of his, and it was always "coughing up" clouds of dirt/dust off the ground.

Thoughts?

I have a thick skin. Let'em fly. ;)

i have mine turned down right after the axle. i ran a bit of pipe off the muffler for the hell of it. i haven't had any problems with the wax on the frame melting or with dust coming up...as long as they are angled back somewhat by the time the dust gets kicked up - if any - you will be long gone...and if it did kick up dust...it wouldn't be any more than the tires alrady do...

and no pesky tailpipes to clean either...that is always nice.

I have dumps that are right in front of my rear axle and are probably about 16" long. They have about a 45 degree bend. No problems with dust or exhaust fumes, unless I am backing up.

You will have more exhaust sound in the cab with dumps, and sometimes more resonance. Between about 500 and 800 RPMs my whole truck seems to vibrate. I have gotten used to it, but I bet it will surprise some one that has never been in it. I have a 5"x10"x22" dual in/dual out IMCO, which is a flowmaster type muffler.

I like mine, and it seems to sound more aggressive with the dumps. I only worry about the rear end getting too much heat from the exhaust being too close to it.

I have mine dumped and by doing that I lost all the resonance from my dual Flowmaster 50 series, I am also running an X-pipe which helps also. This is the second Chevy Silverado I have chopped off the tail pipe and the first I did dumps on. Even with no down pipe on my first truck, the only thing that showed any evedence of the exhaust was the axle and all that happened to it was it was blackend. No rubber coating melting, exhaust fumes, dust flying or what ever else you could be worried about and the first truck went two winters in Maine.

oh...and resonance...i haven't noticed anything louder...if anything the 50 series i have now is quieter than the 40's i had that were exiting under the corners of the bumper...

You have resonance with the dual 50 series? Are you running an X-pipe? If not, I highly recommend one! :thumbs:

oh...and resonance...i haven't noticed anything louder...if anything the 50 series i have now is quieter than the 40's i had that were exiting under the corners of the bumper...

You have resonance with the dual 50 series? Are you running an X-pipe? If not, I highly recommend one! :thumbs:

i have a little resonance with the 50 series (single muffler)...just under 60-65mph...buti guess it was just like the stock exhaust...

and i have no need for an x-pipe seeing as i only have 1 muffler...you knew that... :banghead:

My x-pipe was sent to me by a friend but I believe the guy that makes them is in Oklahoma. I have a 3" X feeding into 2.5" pipes and mufflers. It really balanced the exhaust, seemed to give me back some low end and helped overall performance... according to my SOTP meter. I hope to get to the track soon and really see what the results are compared to my full duals runs.

137935.jpg

Archived