Simplified Electric Fan Post

vdrumright

Here is a new post concerning the installation of the GM 05’ electric fans in

2003 & 2004 Silverado SS’s only.

This post is for strictly to tell you how I did it.

It’s not a forum to comment on how you would do it better, nor is it a post for any vehicles other than 03’ & 04’ SS’s. If you looking to post that kind of information go here

I have had these installed in my 03’ SS for almost 3,200 miles and have had flawless operation.

web-fans.jpg

First off, I am a firm believer in the KISS principle. (Keep it simple students) I wanted factory electric fans installed and I wanted them to do two things.

1. Turn on when needed.

2. Turn off when needed.

This was done by having PCMFORLESS program my PCM to control them thru pin 42.

Here is a picture of the parts required:

68996005.jpg

Here are the GM part numbers:

89023368 - Motor kit (need 2 of these)

89023366 - Blade kit

89023367 - Blade kit

89023365 - Shroud kit

88987983 - GM Electrical Connectors (need 2 of these)

The pricing on the above parts depends on where you buy them. I got mine thru a GM parts department.

I also have made a wiring harness to work with these fans.

harness2.jpg

These harnesses are for sale through PCMFORLESS. Contact Brian for details.

Each wire on the harness is labeled and easy to install. It is pretty much a plug and play.

I don't mean to be a richard, but I request that unless you are looking for this type up set up to install on a 03 or 04 SS please not post here. The other posts on the fans have become so off subject that they are hard to follow. JMO.

Respectfully,

Vince

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Vince,

Is the wiring harness readily available from Bryan?

I can't find it on his site. Since you're using the KISS theory, are the relays

GM also? This would make it very appealing to me. Can you post a cost factor for the harness? Do you have detailed pics of the harness?

TIA

Brian

Vince,

GM also? This would make it  very appealing to me. Can you post a cost factor for the harness? Do you have detailed pics of the harness?

TIA

Brian

Call Brian at PCMFORLESS or he shoud have price and pics posted soon. If not I'll post a pic.

The relays are bosch type.

I like your set up. I have seen and heard a lot of horor storys about the flax a lite fans. I never had efans on my 03 or 04 SS but of course my 05 came with them. It may me me but I think I have a little more throttle responce with this truck. I have also seen my trans temp quite a bit lower.

JOSH

I like your set up. I have seen and heard a lot of horor storys about the flax a lite fans. I never had efans on my 03 or 04 SS but of course my 05 came with them. It may me me but I think I have a little more throttle responce with this truck. I have also seen my trans temp quite a bit lower.

JOSH

I think the problem wasn't with the flex a lite fans themselves as much as it is withe the controller. The harness that PCMFORLESS is selling will also work with the flexalite fans.

Vince

The fan harnesses are going to be readily available for $80 and we will keep them in stock.  They are very nicely made with soldered connections and good connectors.

I will post pics as soon as I replace my broken digital camera.

thanks,

Bryan

Just to clarify the above, the harness does not include the GM plug connectors that I gave the part number for above. We are trying to find a a better source for these. Once we find a competative suppplier, future harnesses will include the connectors at an adjusted price.

Vince

Okay, So here is my question. If the PCM has to be tuned for the fans to work, How do you explain to the dealer that EFANS turn on through the PCM. They will then know that you have altered the PCM in some way. I am assuming you are screwed on your warranty?

some may assume your truck came that way or not have a clue on how they come on. on the other hand, once you begin to modify, warrenty issue's happen. this fan install isn't how to isn't going to do much on the side of warrenty. you're simply using the gm stuff because it works well, not for warrenty issue's. if you don't want the pcm to control the fan, i'd recomend looking into a painless wiring fan relay kit.

Vince,

GM also? This would make it  very appealing to me. Can you post a cost factor for the harness? Do you have detailed pics of the harness?

TIA

Brian

harness2.jpg

Archived