NEW OUTLAW Performance Intake

Dylan06SS

Well guys... as some of you know a recent opprotunity presented itself to test a new CAI system from a company local to me. In order to protect their interests during testing I haven't been able to post the results, but they gave me the green-light. Anyone w/ a Volant system is going to be a little bit disappointed...

Basically b/c of AWD the test was conducted as follows:

*4 runs w/ each system (Stock, Volant, Outlaw)

*Each run was a 0-40mph blast w/ all factors being as equal as possible

*The best 3 runs for each were averaged out to get our final information

*All passes were measured w/ a Gtech on the same stretch of road

Heres a couple of samples of the runs:

*black line is stock, red is volant, green is outlaw

(note the ET to 40mph on the right side of the pics under 'acceleration')

testrunsA.jpg

testrunsB.jpg

The averaged out 0-40mph times are as follows:

*STOCK - 4.242 seconds

*VOLANT - 4.247 seconds

*OUTLAW - 4.171 seconds

OBVIOUSLY Gtech times are not going to be the most accurate form of measurement... but the numbers don't lie! Looks like the old Volant system is robbing power even on naturally aspirated engines :mad:

For reference my other performance mods are:

*Dual Flowmaster 50 series mufflers w/ dumps

*Superior Shift Kit

*Billet Servos

IMPRESSIONS:

Clinton and Aaron over at Outlaw are really great guys. They now their stuff and are very dedicated to the idea of making more HP. The system incorporates alot of ideas similar to what you see on other systems, but in a way that makes the most out of the space we're given under the hood. After having the kit on for a couple of weeks I have noticed a slight increase in gas mileage (approx 1-2mpg) and my off the line acceleration is improved (JonmalibuSS can testify to this fact :P ) The kit is well designed, seems high quality, and installs easily.

I will post some underhood pics as soon as I have a chance.

I would STRONGLY advise anyone looking at intakes to take a serious look at this system. If anyone has questions about it I'm sure the guys at OUTLAW would love to hear from you, or if you want any of my input feel free to PM/e-mail me.

I'll keep this thread updated w/ info as I come across it... but I am VERY pleased with it so far. :thumbs:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
any pics of the system dylan??? :seeya:

I'll get some up tomorrow... haven't taken any yet and its late now. :D

In the meantime heres the link to thier site: Outlaw Power

wow, that site is cool, but not much info, it really looks to be a good product, i am sorta interested... :cool::cool:

How do we know the tests were run unbiased, were you there during the test?Is it the newer Gtech or the old? what type of HP/TQ does it translate to?

(Not to be a pessimist)

I saw the site :looks nice, but needs pics.

I emailed for pics and they said they were in the process of changing the site so it will have more of the information we need. They did send me a pic though.

I'd like to see the results for the supercharged model. Hope someone can sacrifice their truck for the greater good (SSmembers) :P

Dylan, You are the man. :thumbs: When will these be available? Do they have a ram air option? Where are the pics of the install on your truck? How much are they going to cost? Where can we get them? Sorry for all the questions, I NEED AN INTAKE. :D Well keep us posted, Good job on the research. Oh and tell the folks at OUTLAW they better hurry with the production, There are some anxious SS owners around. :P

How do we know the tests were run unbiased, were you there during the test?Is it the newer Gtech or the old? what type of HP/TQ does it translate to?

(Not to be a pessimist)

I emailed for pics and they said they were in the process of changing the site so it will have more of the information we need. They did send me a pic though.

I'd like to see the results for the supercharged model. Hope someone can sacrifice their truck for the greater good (SSmembers) :P

According to Clinton at Outlaw the Gtech Pro unit used for testing on my SS was custom built and calibrated for a Porsche Competition GTP team.

"These results are from a Gtech Pro that calculates HP and TQ similarly to a

Dynojet inertial chassis dyno. The Gtech Pro results cannot be used to

compare the results from any other chassis dynos. The horsepower and torque

numbers are not going to be an absolute portrayal of the vehicle's actual HP

and TQ numbers. However, repeatability is excellent and thus definitely

show a picture that is black and white when testing one product against

another. Please see http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html for the accuracy

of the Gtech versus other measurement devices."

I was there and shot video of all 12 runs... there was no biased info as I went in a little skeptical about it. The system works... this test was conducted as scientifically as possible and all efforts were made to level the playing field. As a matter of fact the outlaw looks to have a slight disadvantage on the chart below b/c it started w/ a higher engine temp. :dunno:

Heres the HP/TQ curve:

OutlawSilveradoSS.jpg

The pictures at their site really don't show much, where does the intake air come from, the fender like stock? Is it sealed from underhood hot air?

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

The box is sealed almost entirely from underhood air. It incorporates a seal to the fender unlike the Volant which is just kinda open. As soon as I have a chance tonight I will uninstall it and take some pics for everyone of the seperate parts and then of then reinstall for pics of the system in place. :thumbs:

How is the outlaw going to compare to the new Volant intake that just came out that is to be a better kit then the one they first had out for our trucks. Also how is it going to compare to either Volant kit with a ram air intake.

At this point I could care less about Volants "new" system. If they were actually LOSING power w/ the old system and trying to tell everyone its making power... its not a company I want to do business w/ anymore... regardless of improvements. We ran the tests w/o the scoop in order to compare 'similar' systems... The Outlaw actually has an opening at the bottom of the box like the Volant... so you could run a scoop (even the Volant one) w/ a little modification.

Good deal. I'll be awaiting the pics. I can't beleive volant lost HP! that really sucks since I have the older system on my truck(haven't had time to remove). I thought about getting the new one, but I'll wait to see what your research shows. :thumbs:

(Not to be a pessimist)

According to Clinton at Outlaw the Gtech Pro unit used for testing on my SS was custom built and calibrated for a Porsche Competition GTP team.

"These results are from a Gtech Pro that calculates HP and TQ similarly to a

Dynojet inertial chassis dyno. The Gtech Pro results cannot be used to

compare the results from any other chassis dynos. The horsepower and torque

numbers are not going to be an absolute portrayal of the vehicle's actual HP

and TQ numbers. However, repeatability is excellent and thus definitely

show a picture that is black and white when testing one product against

another. Please see http://www.gtechpro.com/accuracy.html for the accuracy

of the Gtech versus other measurement devices."

I was there and shot video of all 12 runs... there was no biased info as I went in a little skeptical about it. The system works... this test was conducted as scientifically as possible and all efforts were made to level the playing field. As a matter of fact the outlaw looks to have a slight disadvantage on the chart below b/c it started w/ a higher engine temp. :dunno:

Heres the HP/TQ curve:

OutlawSilveradoSS.jpg

The pictures at their site really don't show much, where does the intake air come from, the fender like stock? Is it sealed from underhood hot air?

Butch 02 Sierra Denali

The box is sealed almost entirely from underhood air. It incorporates a seal to the fender unlike the Volant which is just kinda open. As soon as I have a chance tonight I will uninstall it and take some pics for everyone of the seperate parts and then of then reinstall for pics of the system in place. :thumbs:

email:

[email protected]

ask for a pic , they will send you one (uninstalled ) looks like a catalog type photo showing the pieces. I'd post it but the pic is huge(M.B.)! If you do it, ask for a smaller sized photo(less quality, KB's intead of MB's) so it can be passed around or posted until we get the installed pics.

dylanvonkleist: ask if they are willing to test the NEW Volant vs. theirs? :driving:

Archived