spacer or shim for wheels

BiggieSS

i took my factory wheels off to put my new 22" wheels on, and i noticed that there were two little washers between the wheel and the hub. i didn't transfer them over to the new wheels and i am getting a vibration over 50 mph. so i called the place that i bought the wheels and they told me that they are shims and that i needed to put them in to get rid of the vibration have you guys heard of this or what.

i took my factory wheels off to put my new 22" wheels on, and i noticed that there were two little washers between the wheel and the hub.  i didn't transfer them over to the new wheels and i am getting a vibration over 50 mph.  so i called the place that i bought the wheels and they told me that they are shims and that i needed to put them in to get rid of the vibration have you guys heard of this or what.

I didn't put my wheels on, but the guy that put the wheels on put the shims back in. I haven't noticed any vibrations.

:wtf: I haven't heard of this before. Sounds like they couldn't balance it the normal way, so they did that instead. Personally, I wouldn't feel confident with something like that done to my truck. Lug nuts tend to work their way loose in situations like that (wheel spacers are real good about doing that) - you may want to check yours regularly.

I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that these "washers" are on there only to assist in manufacturing - they keep the rotor in place while the rest of the brake components and wheels are installed. :dunno:

I've always taken them off all my vehicles, including the SSS, at the first tire rotation, and have never noticed the slightest difference - maybe others have had different experiences, I don't know.

Thas my 2 cents. :chevy:

Factory wheels are designed to fit each specific vehicle perfectly... after market wheels are designed for a broader use. Meaning the the center of the wheel (also known as the hub) is a larger opening than it needs to be. A good custom wheel company should know this and your vehicle should be fitted with "Hub rings".

Hub centric rings are manufactured so that when they are installed on a vehicle, the wheels are located directly off of the centre flange of the brake drum or rotor. This is done to insure that the outer beads of the wheel are concentric with the wheel bearings. The result is a much truer, better balanced tire/wheel assembly. This is very important with modern high tech suspension systems.

I could be wrong here, but my understanding is that these "washers" are on there only to assist in manufacturing - they keep the rotor in place while the rest of the brake components and wheels are installed.  :dunno:

I've always taken them off all my vehicles, including the SSS, at the first tire rotation, and have never noticed the slightest difference - maybe others have had different experiences, I don't know.

Thas my 2 cents.  :chevy:

:withstupid: I don't think they were shims. They just didn't get the balance correct or there is a rim/tire issue.

Those "spacers" are retainer clips from factory assembly. Its a easy way to tell on used vehicles if they have had a rotor replaced or removed. I took mine off when I changed out rims and no issues. Take it back and have them balance all 4 again and you will be fixed up. :thumbs:

Archived