Detonation???

fordsareslow

I have a 04 reg cab with a 5.3. It has 14,000 miles on it and the motor pings big time. When I am driving, when I get on the throttle, it pings for 3-5 seconds then it goes away. If I let off of the gas then get on it again, it pings again. It does not matter the speed I am traveling. It only happens when I get on it. I have an appointment to get it checked out next week, but I was just wondering if anybody else has the same problem? I have tried different brands and types of fuel, and it still does it. Even with premium it still does it, though it is not as bad. Any thoughts? :dunno:

This may not be related to your problem but, My '96 Tahoe (5.7L-79,000miles) started to ping while pulling hills. So, I switched to "Mid-Grade" fuel. That worked O.K. for about 6-months before I had to switch again to Premium Gas. Again, "Problem Solved"...for about 6-months. Then, I purchased a tank of gas from what I will call a "Questionable" gas station. Within 15-minutes the car would barely run! Took it to the Chevy dealer for service (had some other stuff to fix, anyways). Found out that the engine had never been "De-Carbonized". Since my intake manifold gasket was already leaking some coolant, I had them do this "De-Carbonizing" at the same time as the intake manifold gasket replacement. The service guy told me that the engine was fairly severely "Carboned-Up" (effectively raising the compression to the point of "Premature Detonation" :D ) Whatever it was, the Tahoe now runs perfect! Although I still have to use "Mid-Grade". It has also not been 6-months, yet, since the repairs. He also recommended putting a bottle of Fuel-System Cleaner in the tank every time the oil is changed to help prevent carbon buildup.

TP :chevy:

14,000 miles seems pretty early to carbon up an engine, especially since CA gas is supposed to burn cleaner than the rest of the nation... :confused:

Decarboning is cheap and easy to do. Go to Kragen or Napa Auto Parts and pick up a can of Seafoam, the screw top type, not the spray type.

To use this on your engine, start your engine, then disconnect a vacuum line, preferably the brake booster line, (although I don't know if you have one in an 04). What you want to do is slowly suck 2/3 of the can through the vacuum line, making sure to keep the engine alive, and then flood the engine with the remaining 1/3 of the can. Ideally, this last third should kill the engine, if it doesn't, shut it down immediately. Reconnect the vacuum line and let the truck sit for an hour or two.

Then start it up, it might take a few moments to fire up and to get running properly, and it will probably idle rough for a few minutes. If your engine has a lot of carbon build up... prepare for a smoke show. After it has burned off the carbon and isn't pumping tons of smoke out, you'll probably want to change your oil, just to be on the safe side.

Or you can just have the dealer do it, since you are still under warranty. :cool:

So you think I should have to run that stuff through, even on this new of a truck, seems to me that it is GM's problem, not mine. And on the Gas, I tried different stations and even premium fuel, and it still seems to do it, although not as bad. I will just have to see when I take it in next week. Thanks for the input :thumbs:

Archived