Shift Kit vs. Converter

In your opinions, is the Zippy Shift a better choice than a 2800 stall converter? I already have a PCM tune with the increased line pressure thingy, but I am still not happy with the shifts (not hard enough). Or, should I go with both and have the PCM retuned w/o the line pressure increase. I am looking for a kick in the A**, but more importantly I want drag race-consistency. Please help!!!

:cheers:

IMO the converter would be more suited for racing b/c it would allow you to launch better... but you can always use more positive gain in the shifts that the 'zippy kit' would give you... I vote you do both if you can afford it. :thumbs:

IMO the converter would be more suited for racing b/c it would allow you to launch better... but you can always use more positive gain in the shifts that the 'zippy kit' would give you... I vote you do both if you can afford it.  :thumbs:

How do you like those shorty headers? Any gains? I'll probably do both the kit and the converter...this divorce thing pays a lot of money! :D Any recomendations on which converter to get?

I wouldn't say that a shift kit is better than a stall. A stall will give much points in the fun factor category, however, your shift will pretty much stay the same without the shift kit and will not give you the kick in the a** you're looking for. Neck snap shifts, maybe. Both would really make you happy. Shift kit and stall are the only way to go, IMO.

How do you like those shorty headers?  Any gains?  I'll probably do both the kit and the converter...this divorce thing pays a lot of money! :D  Any recomendations on which converter to get?

I like the headers... despite popular opinion on shorty vs. long tubes I think these gave me decent gain and I couldn't pass up the deal I got on them :D

Go thru Zippy for the converter and get one of the T'blazer units... thats what I'm shooting for and most have had good luck with them so far! :thumbs:

a higher stall will make the shifts terrible without a shift kit...

Can you get me both to California with enough time to install by Jan. 28?

:thumbs:

i don't see that being a problem...

is that also true if you have tuning?

even with tuning i wouldn't see it being acceptable. upping the line pressure via programming is a bad way to go. it's ok for a temperary condition, but not for any performance situations.

I'll give you a call!

even with tuning i wouldn't see it being acceptable. upping the line pressure via programming is a bad way to go. it's ok for a temperary condition, but not for any performance situations.

my shifts were almost like stock when i got the TC first. Of course i really like my zippy shift now, but it was ok prior.

Archived