Volant fit problem

dancar

When I put my new Volant CAI system on last night I noticed there wasn't any clearance between the intake tube and the fan shroud. I mean a serious interference problem. I thought about cutting the end of the tube that goes into the TB, then I thought about cutting a little off the shroud, then I thought about heating the tube and bending it. I wasn't happy with any of those options due to either potential performance or appearance issues. Then I decided to heat and reshape the shroud where it has a rolled up edge, this worked great. How I did it was to put a 5/15" thick by 6" long piece of steel (wood or something like that would work) between the tube and shroud. I heated the shroud with a heat gun, being careful not to over heat and melt it, and let it cool. Now it has about 3/16"

clearance and you wouldn't notice anything was done to it, unless you stood on the side of the fender looking along the edge of the shroud, then you notice a change in the line. This could be taken out by continuing the process farther along the shroud to blend in more gradually. I don't have a digital camera so you won't be getting any pictures to look at. I just wanted to give those interested this helpful suggestion

I've got an O3 SS and a volant 15953, and ram air tube and it fit tight there... but it fit fine, are you sure you got the right part number?

Now they have a new part for the SS, (supposed to be improved) is this the one you've got or the older version? A lot of the guys complained about power losses after the install, and then Volant comes out with a new improved version! Go figure... anyway, I was just curious... sorry to hear about your fitment problems... Hope it's all cool now!

:smash:

mine fit close also... but what does it matter if there is clearance there? as long as they fit securely .. it wont hurt if they touch.

i solved that problem pretty quick though.. put on electric fans. much easier.

I have the new version and it didn't clear. It was pushing against the shroud, my guess is it was about an 1/8" interference, meaning if it was towards the engine 1/8" more it would have been just touching the shroud with no clearance. With no clearance (or in my case negative clearance) and the engine moving and shaking under normal (and abnormal) driving three things would happen. 1) it would likely wear the tube in time. 2) engine noise/vibration could telescope to the body where the shroud is bolted solid to the body. 3) it would leave an unsightly mark looking you in the face each time I lifted the hood. I'm not particularly fond of any of those situations.

:thumbs: I got the new Volant CAI with the tube. I had rubbing problems it even cracked my skirting a little. So I took it back to the place. They ziped tied the tube closer to the air duct and trimmed my skirting(about 16th of in inch). I think they did a good job. Best of all no rub!!! I like the NEW Volant.The place I got it from did not carry Volant but they orderd it for me, and the service tech said "its the nicest CAI he has seen." That place carries Airaid & K&m. I wish we had a real dyno test for the new Volant & tube :thumbs: Rude

Archived