Fuel pump problem****

NateZ

Hey guys,

Installed my walbro gss340 yesterday. The truck and fuelpressure are great when the engine is running, BUT......

When i get in, and put the key in and turn the ignition to the "on" position (not start) the fuel pressure goes to 54 like normal, but then starts to drop in incriments of 10 all the way to zero pretty fast. If you try to start it, it sputters and stops, unless you hold it and it eventually starts. You have to take the key out and put it back in, and start the truck before the fuel pressure drops. If you let the truck sit for a bit, there won't be any pressure in the lines, and it only pressurises to 20 psi on the first try. it sputters like it were to if i had waited to start it as described above. I hooked all my lines back up... what is happening to my fuel pressure? It's supposed to be the same whether the engine is running or not??? it definatly didn't do this before the new pump.

There are no leaks outside of the tank.

Please help

Nate

Well, since no one else has posted......

If all you did was drop the tank and put in the pump, then that can't be true that you put everything back as it was.

-are there any DTCs?

-check the connections at the pump (clamp?)

-make sure there is not a puncture in that cheap pick-up tube if you re-used it

-not sealing right at the connection to the tank (the assy seal atop the tank) ?

-all your EVAP connections hooked back up? Fuel lines to the tank "snap" back into place?

-wires hooked up right? good connections?

Something has to be wrong. Aside from the pump being bad, there must be something that seems to give way the longer pressure is applied to it.

All just a guess. If it were me, I'd drop it all again and re-check everything. Ditch the the semi-clear fuel line used inside the tank and get some fuel grade quality hose with some good clamps.

Hey ben thanks for replying,

i actually got it figured out yesterday, turns out there was a tiny hole in the intank line. The only tubing i could find that would be safe for intank use was a piece of nylon plastic fuel injector tubeing, which means that it works, but it's not flexable like the original hose. Will this be a problem you think?

Thanks,

Nate

Hey ben thanks for replying,

i actually got it figured out yesterday, turns out there was a tiny hole in the intank line. The only tubing i could find that would be safe for intank use was a piece of nylon plastic fuel injector tubeing, which means that it works, but it's not flexable like the original hose. Will this be a problem you think?

Thanks,

Nate

remember that just because a line is rated for fuel that doesn't mean its rated to be submerged in fuel. but I think you already know that.

Hope it all works out ok for ya Nate :thumbs:

Glad you figured it out, Nate. :thumbs: I know it sucked to take the tank out again.

So, if your new line is not flexible, does that mean it's a rigid plastic or metal? I would think that flexibility would not be any issue as long as it doesn't impede the flow of fuel. Other than that, what else is there to worry about? :dunno:

It's of rigid plastic type..... its the same material as the fuel lines that are attached to the outside of the tank. I wasn't thinking that since that module is on a spring mechanism, and can move up and down, that mabye for vibration purposes that line was left flexable from the factory to let that modula move up and down as it would need to? But yea, it doesn't impead fuel flow or anything, if anything it prolly flows a bit better. Now i gotta figure out how to get the pump to be able to keep a steady amount of fuel at WOT when near E, the new pump isn't made for my 03' module.

Thanks,

Nate

I've always read that you don't let it get very close to E when adding aftermarket pumps in the tank.

Sounds like that line would be okay, although not 100% sure of it. As long as it flexs some, I would guess it will work. My mechanism does not move at all and in there very tight.

one more fyi:

Okay I just check into some more stuff. It turns out we put SAE J30R9 (external use) in this dudes truck. It took 4 days to blow. Well he put the same crap in it today. So now its going to need to be changed again. We are looking right now for anyone that carries SAE J30R10 because that seems like the right stuff. I still think we could use that accordian line. HOWEVER, they said that the 6" peice of hose that comes with the Walbro kit WILL actually work. You have to compress the module to get it to fit on their but they measure everything and the intank pickup still sits on the bottom on the tank. So ill probably check it myself but if that little peice of included hose will work, than hell yea ill use it

Hmm, or mabye because the module is stiff it feels tight instead of the module just springing upward freely when you seat it in the tank? I think thats whats goin on with mine. In any event, thanks guys for your input!!! helped out a bunch.

Nate

Archived