tick-tick-tick

pbohrs

Every so often, after I have her heated up I get a ticking at idle like a dry lifter.

I only have 8500 miles on my baby and I'm a little concerned that this is an indication that this may lead to other problems. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time. Anyone else experience this?

On another note, we just got about 1" of snow here and I had to go out and play a little. I think I need a little weight in the a$$ end. I wasn't doing real well on the hills.

Pete

I'd be really careful guys.. I had a tick-tick-tick that quickly became KNOCK-KNOCK-KNOCK and it ended up being a spun cam bearing.. I don't know if there is anything you can do to diagnose before everything goes boom, Benkey do you?

I don't see how an occasional tick sound can mean that something is necessarily wrong and I have never heard of anyone saying that their injectors are chattering.

Spun cam bearings is a little over the top if still on the stock cam. It will tick from a spun cam bearing, but that usually goes with a loss of oil pressure.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse. Oil level okay? 5W30 or 10W30?

Yep, oil pressure is good. Just had the service done and they used 10W-30. I am switching to Mobil 1 next service.

I'm not really too concerned about the ticking. I have it in the Corvette every once in a while too, but that has some miles on it.

Just wondering if anyone else has it from time to time.

Pete

I don't see how an occasional tick sound can mean that something is necessarily wrong and I have never heard of anyone saying that their injectors are chattering.

Spun cam bearings is a little over the top if still on the stock cam.  It will tick from a spun cam bearing, but that usually goes with a loss of oil pressure.

Personally, I wouldn't worry about it unless it gets worse.  Oil level okay?  5W30 or 10W30?

You're right... :banghead: I completely forgot the oil pressure drop that occurred.. Sorry to freak out guys...

Every so often, after I have her heated up I get a ticking at idle like a dry lifter.

I only have 8500 miles on my baby and I'm a little concerned that this is an indication that this may lead to other problems. Like I said, it doesn't happen all the time. Anyone else experience this?

On another note, we just got about 1" of snow here and I had to go out and play a little. I think I need a little weight in the a$$ end. I wasn't doing real well on the hills.

Pete

Would not worry about it too much, Unless you were in Iraq and heard a ticking noise then I'd run...

Here in Ottawa, Canada my Mazda P5 would tick on cold start, fixed by using Mobil One 5W30. Essential to use good quality Synthetic oil as coventional is thicker under cold conditions when your engine needs lube most

You can still have it checked by your dealer, but the :ughdance: training that GM says it gives their people is only related on different ways to tell you ITS NORMAL...

Dr Mike :driving:

Archived