Got a Hemi question

DaGeorge

A friend of mine with a 4 door 4wd hemi ram want's to race me really bad.  REALLY BAD.

He says his truck runs 14.6's all day long at the track and the only mods he has is a muffler and his buddy at dodge hooked him up with some "raw" program for his trans.  Something about the programming for the converter and what not.

My question is is he full of it or is this possible on a quad cab, 4wd hemi.

Thanks

George :chevy:

I work at a Dodge dealer, and have driven literally hundreds of them. Some with intake and exhaust mods, and have a bunch of friends who own them. In good elevation and weather you can get a 14.8 or so on a 2wd RC with close to stock mods like intake and exhaust. Given you can launch it correctly. But I drive the 4wd ones, and like stated earlier, you will be showing off your rear SS badge for a few secs til he can't see it anymore. Lot of Hemi Ram owners think they are faster then they really are. Not the motors fault, jus too heavy! LOL. Race his ass, some people need a good beating to stop overrating their shit. And this is coming from a Mopar guy..hehe. Race safe tho. Peace

-Sam

01 Silver R/T Dak

Part of the reason why HEMI trucks don't put down as good of numbers as they should is because the engineers at Daimler-Chrysler put in some code that drastically saps the engine power (via timing I assume) as it nears the shift point, so it gives the transmission a softer shift for longer life. This same sort of code exists in stock Dakota R/T's as a sort of traction control device.

The 02-03 HEMI trucks could circumvent this timing dump by clipping a wire that ran from the transmission to the PCM, people reported as much of a .5 sec gain the quarter mile because of this modification alone. Unfortunately so many people were doing this to their trucks that Daimler-Chrysler re-engineered the 04+ models so you can't do the modification anymore.

14.6 out of an otherwise stock QC HEMI? Doubtful, but I've seen stranger stuff. There are a number of freak trucks out there that put down impressive numbers stock, I think those were the ones built on Wednesday (M-T the guys were recovering from their hangovers, Thurs-Fri they're worn out and waiting for the weekend). There's a guy who used to be on DTO who ran low 13's in his extended cab Ram with absolutely nothing modified below the air hat - it was all suspension/gears/tires/tricks/skill.

Part of the reason why HEMI trucks don't put down as good of numbers as they should is because the engineers at Daimler-Chrysler put in some code that drastically saps the engine power (via timing I assume) as it nears the shift point, so it gives the transmission a softer shift for longer life.  This same sort of code exists in stock Dakota R/T's as a sort of traction control device. 

Yeah, we have the same thing. It's called torque management, when the computer pulls timing on shifts. The only wway I know of to get at it is reprogramming, which I guess is still a lot easier for us Chevy owners. :chevy:

I would say race him. I just got back from the track a couple of days ago and I was talking to a guy who had a single cab 2wd hemi and he told me he had no spiining trouble getting off the line. Then right before my last run he went and ran his best time of 15.5@88. I have it on tape but I am having trouble getting it loaded to the computer.

Hemi

Time was that word would have made me get the heebies. Have you guyz looked at one of the heads? No egg-shaped combustion chambers, just a bead of weld dropped between the intake and exhaust valves-they say it gives the swirl type induction like the Hemi should-forgive me, but I remember this kind of swirl induction on the carbureted 84 Tempo...

Not trying to piss anyone off here, but I just dont believe in the new Hemi-that its a real Hemi anyway. I think its just a Magnum with trick heads.

Oh, and what about that oil pump problem (low oil pressure below 32 degrees-if its under warranty they will fix it, if not u r _____ed)?

Well, contrary to the rumours, the new Hemi is a real Hemi.

It doesn't have "perfectly" hemispherical combustion chambers, but they are damned close. The are a perfect Hemi chamber that's been "squished" from the sides a bit. Nothing at all related to a Magnum head, in the least.

Valve layout is distinctively Hemi too.

Where did you hear about an "oil pump problem"? I visit Ram forums, I've never heard of it?

That's cool-just doesnt remind me of my 413 :) My bad...

I sold a 2003 Hemi quad cab which had this problem, but warranty took care of it for me-the tech working on it told me about the oil pumps-there is a TSB if I am not mistaken.

The oil pump seems to be a factory defect-Im not happy with Daimler Benz decision to just fix those under warranty.

Part of the reason why HEMI trucks don't put down as good of numbers as they should is because the engineers at Daimler-Chrysler put in some code that drastically saps the engine power (via timing I assume) as it nears the shift point, so it gives the transmission a softer shift for longer life.  This same sort of code exists in stock Dakota R/T's as a sort of traction control device. 

Yeah, we have the same thing. It's called torque management, when the computer pulls timing on shifts. The only wway I know of to get at it is reprogramming, which I guess is still a lot easier for us Chevy owners. :chevy:

Yea that torque management is a killer. He says it's not clipped though. :dunno:

I haven't got the chance to yet :tear: I ask him when ever im at the customer's shop all he says is whenever.

Still tryin though.

• 3 weeks later...

My neighbor and I battle about this all the time. He has a 2003 4X4 crew cab (4 doors). He has a K&N 77 series and a flowmaster cat back system. I tell him he will get crushed but he has faith in the HEMI. The roads are dry now, so I guess we are gonna race soon. If he will man up, and do it. I am gonna smoke his aSS. :driving::flag:

Please no flames intended, but as nice an engine as the hemi is, it seems to be a bit overrated on horsepower, at least relative to The General's numbers. I say that because with only a slight displacement/torque advantage 345 HP EC SSS's regularly smoke 345 HP hemi RC's.

Don't get me wrong, the hemi makes at least close to 1 HP per CI at the crank from the factory and that's great. It's just that the Gen III 6.0 may be a little underrated in comparison. I bet the new bored and stroked hemi to come will be even better.

My neighbor and I battle about this all the time. He has a 2003 4X4 crew cab (4 doors). He has a K&N 77 series and a flowmaster cat back system. I tell him he will get crushed but he has faith in the HEMI. The roads are dry now, so I guess we are gonna race soon. If he will man up, and do it. I am gonna smoke his aSS.  :driving:  :flag:

race him, he wont even stand a chance with only those mods. you will completely blow him away.

my dad has a 05 4 door hemi like your neigbors. he has CAI, functional ram air hood, and flowmaster cat backs, and his truck is considerably slower than even my brothers extended cab 5.3 :driving:

Archived