Is there a way to get better gas mileage

Hey man, RELAX!

We were just offering our advice to you because gas mileage isn't one of the biggest benefits this truck has to offer and if you believe what that sticker said on your truck when you bought it, hell is about to freeze over too!  :banghead:  It is what it is, gas mileage plain sucks on the SSS, but that wasn't what I bought it for. As a matter of fact I wasn't even interested in the mileage this truck gets. I mean really, your getting 11-12 in the city and the sticker said 13??? :dunno: That's pretty damn close if you ask me.

Late-  Alex

I didn;t buy the truck for its gas mileage, i bought it for several other reasons. All i was asking is why do i see other people who say they get like 4-5 mpg more than me in city/highway driving. Of course the gas rpices suck and it is getting expensive but its not going to make me consider selling this beast. I was just trying to get some answers to if there were any tricks to get more gas mileage out of this thing. :banghead:

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better gas ... Don't drive as hard ... idle time ... mileage ... "rough numbers" by OEM cluster ... PCM tunes ... elevation? ... many variables ... but I think everyone has said the basics to help you gain some MPG ... stay away from the TORNADO gimmicks.

FWIW

TIM :driving:

Are there any small mods I can do to get better gas mileage out of my SS.  When i had a stang i put a k&N air filter in it and new plugs(forget what kind) and it gave me a lot better gas mileage.  I have a regular fram air hog air filter in there now but was wondering if there are any tricks to get this thing a little better gas.  Window sticker said 13 city and 17 highway, i'm getting like 11-12 city and 14.4 highway.  Help me out here

Have you tried using "un-leaded foot"? :D I find I can hit 17mpg on the freeway, but even slight accerations for passing and such take the mpg down pretty quick. Hills hurt too.

:withstupid:

tried running 89 once and got some SERIOUS knock issues...  :banghead:

hell, I had mine tuned with 91 octane in it and it STILL runs fine with 89 :)

The manual says to run the highest octane you can find and that acceleration will suffer under lower octanes...

once i got my lid my range on a full tank of gas went from like 260 miles or about 380.... I drove from NJ to VT this christmas to go skiing in stowe.. only had to fill up once on the way there... had about 1/4 tank too. but can never be to careful up there.. never know when ull come across civilization or a gas station again..

I was thinkin bout a lid but i need one that i can take off easily because i put my dirt bikes in the back once it gets nice out and a fiberglass one will just be to much of a pain for me to take on and off. Anyone know if ones like these are any good?????

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAP...7947990423&rd=1

Archived