Is there a way to get better gas mileage

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well, not trying to be a smart elic but the old technique of driving like you have an egg on the gas and brake pedals really works.

On my 03 Z71 I improved it with e-fans mostly in the summer city driving. No more ringing the fan clutch out at every light. The AC stayed ice cold when parked too. I got a 2 mpg better average. I seen an honest 1 mpg highway.

I then got a Nelson 93 tune and after play time was over I got 1 mpg better on both ends.

I split my Y-pipe and put an SSS muffler on and it ran a tad better but mpg was unchanged.

I now have a 05 and am still waiting on a Nelson tune but I have installed a Corsa Touring edition catback and mpg is unchanged. It runs better and sounds great. Nelson says when a free flowing exhaust is installed there is something needed to be done injector wise that will help performance and an un-intentional bi-result is a slight mpg improvement.

I live in an area where I can drive using the egg routine. Lots of coasting before stops and I leave early if I can to get to where I am going. In some areas if you don't MOVE your AZZ things get crazy.

12 MPG, 17 Highway is what I get which is about right on track what the 5.3 liter Vortec my co-workers Sierra gets and I hear that the Hemi is no better and that the new Ford F-150 is even worse.

From just coming though a huge crash without a scratch I'm more than happy to pay for gas rather than with my life...

I don't think I'd be sitting here typing away if i'd crashed in a Honda.

Pay for the gas and enjoy...

Dr Mike

Just my $.02 but take that $2000-$3000 you're planning on mods and buy a 4 banger beater to drive to work and on errands. That way you put miles on the beater and not the truck plus you get 30+ miles to the gallon.

An added benefit you realize how nice that SS is to drive.

I know my view point isn't as fun as buying mods for the SS but, it's probably the smart thing to do if you're really worried about MPG.

http://www.silveradoss.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=8443

Check out the above post.

I don’t drive as much highway as I did back then so my average mileage has dropped off a little.

My results were:

Exhaust ~ +1.5 MPG

Home Depot Ram Air ~ +1 MPG

PCM4Less tune <+1MPG

160 thermostat -1~2 MPG

20+ MPG on long trips is not uncommon. When I refuel on the road the DIC has given a range of over 500 miles. Once I was in no hurry and locked the cruise control on 60 MPH and the DIC indicated over 22 MPG but who wants to drive that slow.

Regarding the 160 thermostat, I left it in for a couple of thousand miles with the hope it would improve. SOTP on the HP was great but mileage dropped off sharply. Once I returned to stock the mileage popped right back up.

I just put a second alternator on so that may take some back we’ll see.

Plan on doing the Efans soon.

Just my $.02 but take that $2000-$3000 you're planning on mods and buy a 4 banger beater to drive to work and on errands. That way you put miles on the beater and not the truck plus you get 30+ miles to the gallon.

I know my view point isn't as fun as buying mods for the SS but, it's probably the smart thing to do if you're really worried about MPG.

I personally don't see the point in that, but to each his own. why drive a $2000 car when you paid 30-40k for a nice vehicle?? kinda defeats the purpose of buying it. :thumbs:

I personally don't see the point in that, but to each his own. why drive a $2000 car when you paid 30-40k for a nice vehicle?? kinda defeats the purpose of buying it. :thumbs:

Yeah i would actually rather spend that money on the gas so i can at least have fun driving something respectable. Put a CAI on and it increased some, kinda weird, at one point my normal driving was at 15.4 for a few days then it dropped to about 13.5 and had been in that area for a little now. Its an improvement so far so I'm happy. Have a few more things I need to do then I should be ok

Even if it's not economical at all in the long run, I get a kick out of doing mods that add efficiency.

I calculated out my last tank... I'm doing pretty bad here. 15.1mpg.

I used to get my best mileage driving side roads. I now take the highway a lot, with a lot of heavy throttle romps.

Could also be just the winter thing - I give the motor a lot of warmup time before driving.

• 1 month later...

i do 2 things to get great sss mileage. (for an sss).

1) let wife drive it,mostly.

2) i run required 91 octane, hightest i can buy in canada. but i add stp octane boost. i buy it in bulk, usually 200 bottles at a time.$3ea.(or $7 at a gas station). each bottle treats 50 litres 10-12 gal?? i got a near 20 % increase immediately. my last highway run, i waz driving, and i got 19.7 mpg at 120kph or around 75 mph. i also installed a flush mount "roll and lock" in the back. in town i see an honest 60-100 miles further on a tank.......mine is totally stock. til next week. pcmforless, corsa sport, and k&n.

all i wanna do for it since i rarely drive it anyway. *waits patiently for my new c6.

bottom line. ever 3-6 dollars spent on octane = $15-20 less fuel per tank.

we pay $1 / liter in alberta. is that 4 or 5 bucks a gallon? sheesh.

The only major mods I can see need to be made in getting the f*&^ing oil barons out of the gvt. and getting some decent foreign policy going again, stop with the cowboy-gonna-kick-yer-everlovin-butt stuff. Canada has more oil than anywhere else on earth, and they are just quietly sitting on it---smart.

The US can't survive this much longer.

Of course I'll get bagged on over this reply...

Archived