Is there a way to get better gas mileage

i do 2 things to get great sss mileage. (for an sss).

1) let wife drive it,mostly.

2) i run required 91 octane, hightest i can buy in canada.  but i add stp octane boost.  i buy it in bulk, usually 200 bottles at a time.$3ea.(or $7 at a gas station).  each bottle treats 50 litres 10-12 gal??  i got a near 20 % increase immediately.  my last highway run, i waz driving, and i got 19.7 mpg at 120kph or around 75 mph.  i also installed a flush mount "roll and lock" in the back.  in town i see an honest 60-100 miles further on a tank.......mine is totally stock.  til next week.    pcmforless, corsa sport, and k&n.

all i wanna do for it since i rarely drive it anyway.      *waits patiently for my new c6.

bottom line.    ever 3-6 dollars spent on octane  = $15-20 less fuel per tank.

we pay $1  / liter in alberta.  is that 4 or 5 bucks a gallon? sheesh.

I believe it is 3.785 liters per gallon

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i do 2 things to get great sss mileage. (for an sss).

1) let wife drive it,mostly.

2) i run required 91 octane, hightest i can buy in canada.  but i add stp octane boost.  i buy it in bulk, usually 200 bottles at a time.$3ea.(or $7 at a gas station).  each bottle treats 50 litres 10-12 gal??  i got a near 20 % increase immediately.  my last highway run, i waz driving, and i got 19.7 mpg at 120kph or around 75 mph.  i also installed a flush mount "roll and lock" in the back.  in town i see an honest 60-100 miles further on a tank.......mine is totally stock.  til next week.    pcmforless, corsa sport, and k&n.

all i wanna do for it since i rarely drive it anyway.      *waits patiently for my new c6.

bottom line.    ever 3-6 dollars spent on octane  = $15-20 less fuel per tank.

we pay $1  / liter in alberta.  is that 4 or 5 bucks a gallon? sheesh.

I would pull your plugs out on occasion and check them out. STP makes some of the worst fuel additive products out there, IMO. If you have ever looked in a Haynes manual and gone to the back where they show about 10 diff pics of plugs, you'll see one that refers to fouling from fuel additives. Well, my buddy used to buy in small cases (this is injector cleaner), and when we changed his plugs, on two different occasions, his plugs looked like that one picture. I'm sure it works for you, you just may want to pull a plug or two and see if everything is cool. Just a suggestion. He stopped using it.

Are there any small mods I can do to get better gas mileage out of my SS.  [...]  Window sticker said 13 city and 17 highway, i'm getting like 11-12 city and 14.4 highway.  Help me out here

I have an 03. According to the onboard computer my overall average is 14.9. Don't know if the thing is accurate or not. And I've yet to do an actual milage check. But if it is accurate, sounds to me like the dealer or somebody should be able to set up the system some different way. Or maybe your girlfriend is riding your knee or something and the pressure builds on yer foot.

But this, I have this bad habit of my foot staying stuck when I pass something. Hard to keep the thing from eating a little road. So I'm not exactly driving for milage...

...other people who say they get like 15 city and 17-18 highway ... wanted to see if i was doing something wrong...

BTW, I always spring for the 91 octane gas. That may help the milage. Don't know.

Also, I realize I'm posting way back in the thread. Me a newbie, and all that. Kick me if I'm outa whack.

Its cool man, I had a Volant on there for a little and got almost 17mpg on the highway but took it off and sold it so now I'm back down to getting about 15mpg's at most. Hopefully I should have a new CAI if it works out soon. I have a few other things planned but we'll see. Oh and I run 91-93 gas always.

And welcome to the site newbie :cheers:

After reading awhile I see what "lid" means. Good for me. In any case, I never haul anything, so I wonder if taking the tailgate off would accomplish the same thing? What about pinning the thing's ears back when out on a backwoods straightaway? Those power mirrors are handy in that regard. I'd think drag would be reduced, especially after going past the 100 mark.

Running 93 will get better gas mileage because the tune will stay at it's higher more efficient octane table. The cost should be a wash, making the extra power free. Why run 87????

Thanks. That's a dang good piece of info.

Removing the tailgate will get you 5-15% drop in mileage.  Or, you could buy a Droptail kit  Droptail Website

Mr. P. :)

I've tried that and it didnt make any difference, and I didnt car for it because it made my truck shift side to side if it was a little windy at higher speeds. Our trucks are meant to be driven with the gate up, older models use to do better with the gate down but ours were designed to have the least drag with the gate up. Only thing that could help me would be a tonneau cover but i got dirt bikes and I dont feel like going that route. I pretty much gave up on getting the better gas mileage at this point. Once i get the intake thing situatedexhaust and PCM tune, hopefully it should rise again

... the BIG heavy bling rims really kill my mileage...

Back in the 70s we used to run big tires and rims on 4X4 pickups. The overall diameter of the tire/rim set changed the odometer, thus the computed MPG. Not sure how that would affect the onboard computer. Not even sure yet if the thing accurately presents milage figures. My average shows 14.9 MPG. Hope that's right. I'll keep reading here.

(Sure am glad I found this forum....)

If you want to go fast, you will suffer in the fuel department.  The only way for you to save is by parking it or selling it. :D

What the dickens is wrong with wanting Kate and Edith both? My truck seems to run good, and the miliage seems good, if the onboard display can be trusted. (Was never much on checking gas milage. Figured it'd get whatever it got.)

Still, it's nice to have a good balance between performance and economy. On the other hand, it's possible to be faked out. I need to find some way to compare my rig with another. But out here in the Missouri Ozarks outback, I don't know where I'd go. I've never laid eyes on another SS except one on a lot a few towns over.

Do most dealerships have those dynamo jobs?

Removing the tailgate will get you 5-15% drop in mileage.  Or, you could buy a Droptail kit  Droptail Website

I've tried that and it didnt make any difference, and I didnt car for it because it made my truck shift side to side if it was a little windy at higher speeds. Our trucks are meant to be driven with the gate up, older models use to do better with the gate down but ours were designed to have the least drag with the gate up. Only thing that could help me would be a tonneau cover but i got dirt bikes and I dont feel like going that route. I pretty much gave up on getting the better gas mileage at this point. Once i get the intake thing situatedexhaust and PCM tune, hopefully it should rise again

:oops: Well I stand corrected! I am also getting a PCM tune too, I have decided to gut the cats and have the convertor over-temp enrichment eliminated, maybe get another 1-mpg above 75mph?

Archived