I Failed PA Inspection

Krambo

Well, I went for my inspection last week and failed. It was the OBDII type of testing where they plug in the diagnostic equipment let the computer do the rest. Here is the quick story:

Made the appointment for the inspection and fearing that they would fail me for having the check engine light on, I went to Autozone and had the codes read and cleared. I had 3 P0300 (random cylinder misfires) and one P0742 (transmission - I'll post that one in the tranny section). I knew that I would have several P0300 codes due to the aftermarket cam so I didn't give it too much thought. Well, the damn OBDII saw that I had an engine code cleared and would not advance to the next test....FAILED! I told the inspector that I had 2 bad plug wires and replaced them and cleared the code (didn't want to tell him that I had a non-emmissions cam in the truck). He said that the truck computer will need to "reset" by itself which usually happens after 100-150 miles, at which time I can be reinspected and if there is no code, then I will pass.

The problem is that I ALWAYS get the misfire code. It even came on while the truck was sitting at the inspection garage. It seems to trip at idle especially when the truck is not warmed up. My idle is around 700RPMs. Should I bump up the idle? Can I place a grommet under the gas pedal to increase the idle and avoid tracking down LS1 Edit and reprogramming?

Any help would be greatly apreciated! :cry:

I would talk to Bryan at PCMforless (he is a sponsor here). He can probably tune the PCM or turn off certain things that will prevent the light from going on.

We have this same test in NJ now and I failed because Bryan and his guys had disconnected my battery to rewire the electric fans through the PCM. The NJ DMV computer recognized that the PCM on the truck was not in "ready mode" and they failed me because their computer couldn't complete the cycle.

Good luck, 00z71sierra

Well, I went for my inspection last week and failed.  It was the OBDII type of testing where they plug in the diagnostic equipment let the computer do the rest.  Here is the quick story:

Made the appointment  for the inspection and fearing that they would fail me for having the check engine light on, I went to Autozone and had the codes read and cleared.  I had 3 P0300 (random cylinder misfires) and one P0742 (transmission - I'll post that one in the tranny section).  I knew that I would have several P0300 codes due to the aftermarket cam so I didn't give it too much thought.  Well, the damn OBDII saw that I had an engine code cleared and would not advance to the next test....FAILED!  I told the inspector that I had 2 bad plug wires and replaced them and cleared the code (didn't want to tell him that I had a non-emmissions cam in the truck).  He said that the truck computer will need to "reset" by itself which usually happens after 100-150 miles, at which time I can be reinspected and if there is no code, then I will pass.

The problem is that I ALWAYS get the misfire code.  It even came on while the truck was sitting at the inspection garage.  It seems to trip at idle especially when the truck is not warmed up.  My idle is around 700RPMs.  Should I bump up the idle?  Can I place a grommet under the gas pedal to increase the idle and avoid tracking down LS1 Edit and reprogramming?

Any help would be greatly apreciated! :cry:

Krambo...Do all GM dealers in our area do inspections through the computer?I just had my SS inspected at Brodheadsville Chevrolet and had no problems.Of course I dont have an aftermarket cam but...just wondered if you knew if all dealers did inspections like that.

I'll keep an eye out for your SS...I work in Nazareth.Sounds like a nice ride!

I have 30 days from when I failed to get the computer to be in the "Ready Mode". I just installed another tune with some modifications to have the PCM record fewer misfires, increased the idle to 850, and some other stuff. So far no codes, however I would like to drive it for a few hundred miles. The PCM didn't like the cam at first but is settling down now. I'll keep you posted. :chevy:

All those items can be corrected by tuning. My cam is a tad larger than yours and I haven't seen an SES light yet. (knock on wood) Didn't Ken do your tune himself? The misfire count at idle should have been one of the first things corrected. You shouldn't have to "live" with the effects of the cam. They can really smoothed out to where it isn't really noticeable,

Archived