Just when I thought everything that could go wrong

Got a call from my engine builder. Guess what?

My "balanced" rotating assembly from APE was 80 grams off in the front and 63 grams off in the back. But wait! It gets better... The crank was balanced with stock parts and then shipped with lighter, hipo parts. The balancing slugs they used are so thin, they can't be drilled.

One of the eight pistons has been machined. You heard it right. One piston is 20% lighter than the other seven.

Long story short -- if APE offers you free parts, run. Check out my thread in the vendor section.

They get my vote for idiots of the year.

Edit: I should mention that none of my parts were free.

OUCH! Thats gotta hurt dude... sorry to hear that. What kind of resolution did they give you? Are they going to ship you the right parts? I would hope you get something out of them to compensate for the lost time, etc. :mad:

Keep us posted. :thumbs:

I tell ya, if it wasn't for my local builder being able to fix this stuff (rebalancing the assembly and machining the second piston on the same journal as the light one to match) I'd by on a plane to Michigan at the moment. :mad:

I hate the idea of having 2 light pistons, but since its not a race motor and will never see higher rpms than 6600 Chuck assures me it will be fine.

No resolution. They won't return my calls since the credit (for the ****ed up heads and never-delivered fuel pumps) that was supposed to be issued a month ago has never been issued... CC company is already on it.

I tell ya, if it wasn't for my local builder being able to fix this stuff (rebalancing the assembly and machining the second piston on the same journal as the light one to match) I'd by on a plane to Michigan at the moment. 

Sorry to hear about all your troubles dude! At least they can fix it... is that going to delay it any further?

This is probably little consolation, but... after being without it for so long, it's gonna be really sweet to get it back. After driving your wife's vehicle for so long the SS is going to be a night-and-day difference. :driving:

Erik,

Did Callies do the balancing? They did mine and I had to have re-done also. Don't know that it was all their fault. I think Diamond forgot to send some parts.

Is the machined piston the number 8? I think it is 7 or 8, but one used to have to be machined for block interference. The newer pistons like I had/have, all were made differently so the machining of that one piston was not necessary. Thought maybe you got an older set.

Re-balancing the Callies crank should be fairly simple. There are many places for metal to be filled in. Cost is sometimes a little much for what they are doing. Mine cost $125 to do.

Well, I finally heard from Chris @ APE (he sent me a PM on LS1Tech) saying that callies did the balancing, but that it should have been closer than that, diamond did the pistons and #8 shouldn't have been 20% lighter but should have been machined.

It's really sad that I had to bash them on LS1Tech in order to get them to try to resolve things... He apologized in the PM and is now going to figure everything out, but also promised to call me last night... Again no call.

It's not really the cost of rebalancing that gets to me - It's the fact that the only thing APE could deliver as promised are ARP stud kits...

Erik,

Every time I read this I can't believe it! :banghead:

It's hard to understand why you had to find out that the parts from the Mfg were wrong/bad....The people you buy from must assume some responsibility and for them not to contact you is pure Bullshit! There is not excuse for that!

I think most of these guys have tons of knowledge in motors, but are not the best a running a business or customer interaction.

I know I paid a bit more then you guys for my motor, but looking at all the BS you have gone through it was money well spent.....

I hope you get everything worked out! :thumbs:

Erik,

Every time I read this I can't believe it!  :banghead:

It's hard to understand why you had to find out that the parts from the Mfg were wrong/bad....The people you buy from must assume some responsibility and for them not to contact you is pure Bullshit!  There is not excuse for that!

I think most of these guys have tons of knowledge in motors, but are not the best a running a business or customer interaction. 

I know I paid a bit more then you guys for my motor, but looking at all the BS you have gone through it was money well spent.....

I hope you get everything worked out!  :thumbs:

who did all your engine work?

Archived