blown tranny?

i was driving on the freeway and everything went like neutral. :mad: on star had me towed to the closest dealer because i only had 35778 miles on it. :D they couldnt do anything. all they wanted to do was start to build it back stock again starting at $ 150. to take the pan off and look at it and $1250 just to start tearing it down... not even to fix it. i gave them the $150 and had a buddy tow it back to town where i had it built. he will get into it on monday or tuesday and let me know what is going on. this sucks! :banghead:

btw. while at the dealer when i got towed in i was looking at a new C6 vette and they told me trade in on my truck after i fix it is $18000. :eek::mad: WTF! so i blue booked it at only $23100 tradi in. alot lower than i thought. :dunno:

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

i do have the hardend input shaft in her. for the $150 i paid, the dealer did say i had loose metal on pump inlet side of the filter. i guess ill just have to wait to find out what gave out. :mad: hopefully by mid week.

zippy, i was all in favor of a looser stall until PI told me not to buy one when i was ordering it. (do to how i use the SS). do you have any ideas what might have gave out? every gear is neutral. no forward or reverse, at all.

quite possibly it sounds as if you'd broken the input or output shaft. more likely is the input shaft, but either are possible. i'd guess tha or pump failure. if you have to replace the converter, i'd say go with gm part # 24213393 which has a pull rating up to 9200lbs and should be a little bit looser to give the hard parts a bit more life. make sure to keep us updated on what is broken.

zippy, i looked up that part # on gmpartsdirect and the description came back as t/cnv rem. i am assuming short for remanufactured tq. great price. was wondering what vehicle that tq is for and what to expect as far as performance or an et gain? im also assuming that pull rating of 9200 is total weight including the SS?

just got the call from the shop. pump failure. :banghead: he said the amount of metal found in the pan was normal, not chuncks. the dealer put the so called chunks in the pan for me for my guy to see. it looks like the dealer was just trying to sell me a new tranny. :dunno:

that converter is for a 4x4 with a 5.3 for 2003. if i recall correctly they had a tow rating of up to 9200 with a 4.10 gear (trailer weight). might be worth another tenth or two in the quarter, but possibly worth some in trans insurance as it may soften the hit on the shifts. you want the clutches to still hit hard to keep them from slipping, but the converter can absorb some of the shock to keep it from breaking the hard parts. just a thought.

i was driving on the freeway and everything went like neutral. :mad:  on star had me towed to the closest dealer because i only had 35778 miles on it. :D they couldnt do anything. all they wanted to do was start to build it back stock again starting at $ 150. to take the pan off and look at it and $1250 just to start tearing it down... not even to fix it. i gave them the $150 and had a buddy tow it back to town where i had it built. he will get into it on monday or tuesday and let me know what is going on. this sucks! :banghead:

btw. while at the dealer when i got towed in i was looking at a new C6 vette and they told me trade in on my truck after i fix it is $18000. :eek:  :mad: WTF! so i blue booked it at only $23100 tradi in. alot lower than i thought. :dunno:

so they weren't honoring the warranty?? cause of the blower I take it?

Archived