I heard you can't pull heavy loads with a turbo

j4nash

I just talked to this guy from Livernois Motorsports and he said that with a turbo on your truck you should not tow heavy load because you will heat up the turbo to much. Also he said that the STS kit does not run as efficiently because it is not right off the header and that there is loss in efficiency. Is any of this true?

Well... Consider the fact that almost every 18-wheeler you see out there is turbo charged.

You can pull any load you want with a turbo as long as you are tuned for it.

The STS efficiency thing is the main argument from all the traditional turbo guys. The problem is they don't consider the fact that STS uses customized turbos... The STS side of the argument is those guys are right if you use a front mount turbo setup in the STS location.

One of the LS1Tech guys got a STS JUST for towing.

It's possible that some of the front-mount turbo's are not setup for towing - some get so hot under boost that the headers glow red. If you run like that for long, the whole turbo assembly can sag.

Like Erik said, it's a common thought or misconception that the STS's are not as efficient because of their location - the STS tubo's are setup for rear mount use only - like front mounts are front mount only.

the guy told me that diesels don't run as hot so they are better for then then for gas. then i asked him about STS since they are in the back and run cooler and he said they don't run as efficiently.

i think the guy is full of it because i have never heard of the stuff he was talking about

he said that you could not pull more then 2000 lbs. with there kit and there is no way that can be true.

the guy told me that diesels don't run as hot so they are better for then then for gas. then i asked him about STS since they are in the back and run cooler and he said they don't run as efficiently.

i think the guy is full of it because i have never heard of the stuff he was talking about

he said that you could not pull more then 2000 lbs. with there kit and there is no way that can be true.

It could be true if that is how the tune is set up. If it doesn't come with a tune, he's full of it.

On long haul trucks, the underhood temp can reach over 300 on the turbo side of the engine. I think on our trucks you would definitely have some issues unless you added some heat shields on the hood and firewall.

As for not towing as much, :icon_bs:

a turbo by design is excellent for towing. some systems may run a bit too hot due to design. i'm sure for short distances this thing would tow much better than stock. sounds to me like the kit needs work for a "truck" application.

:banghead: Turbos not for towing, bad bad misconception. Front or remote mounted systems can both be great for towing! Lemme give you a basic rundown on how it works. A turbo operates in two modes. Vaccum and boost. Basicly when the engine is idling, the compressor wheel is spinning slowly, your boost gauge will register as vaccum. As you increse the throttle the vaccum will decrease until the you reach equilization. This is the mid way point between vaccum and boost, then when you begin to increase the boost the turbocharger will spool up and that's where the heat begins. People always forget that the HOT portion of the turbo is the exhaust wheel , the compressor wheel is MUCH cooler. a Garret T3 Turbo under 15 PSI boost will spin at approximatley 150,000 RPMS and can reach temps up to 1300 degrees or higher. That is a WOT *Wide Open Throttle run. If you are towing something, the turbo will heat up, but I always look at my boost guage. I try to keep it equalized or slight boost, no reason to go tearing around town all day long at full boost. A front mounted Turbo does generate alot of heat, but so does a remote mounted turbo, the only difference is it's not under the hood. If you have a good thermostat and fans, you are set! The Intercooler will cool the intake charge air down. What I did was sand blasted and cermaic coated my headers, and downpipe on my Grand National. The Turbos should have a heat shield as well if mounted up front. This will help block alot of heat from radiating. The main thing is, turbos are excellent power adders for towing. You can use the high torque to pull stuff and when you are coasting the vaccum will be low and the turbo will cool down. It's not a big thing, if you have a good turbo setup and know how to tow stuff you are set! Very fuel efficent and powerful way to move big stuff around. :yellow_loser:

Can't pull heavy loads with a turbo????? bs.gifALL of the heavy equipment at my job are turbo'd including the yard UTR's which pull 20', 40', 45', and 53' containers around the yard and all of the top handlers which grab the same size containers at all four corners and stack them 4-5 containers high.

83456660.jpg

Late- Alex

Archived