SS wheel question?

cooper58

Has anyone had any luck balancing SS wheels with weights on the inside or do we have to stick to the outer weights to balance correctly. And if I can mount the weights on the inside and the finish on the silver paint is messed up does GM have touch up paint for the silver wheels????

Thanks

As far as gm painting your scratched rims that probably won't happen, there really isn't much difference in the way your tire will perform with the weights on the outside/inside of the rim...it's your choice. I prefer to have them balanced with the weights inside the rim.

I just got my wheels done, and they put them (the weights) on the inside. I went to a dealer and saw a silver ss with chrome wheels, and they had the weights on the outside, I didn't particularlly care for it. As far as the paint goes, one of my wheels had a little scratch in it and I took it to a friend of mines body shop and they made me up a little batch of touch up paint that is really close. They used a computer to match the paint.

When I had new tires put on my ZR2 Blazer last January I asked to have the weights put on the inside, and they said this can not be done. I then asked someone at a local chevy dealer when I had my SS in for some recall work and they guy said the weights need to be on both the inside and outside for proper balancing. I sure wish I could get a real answer about this, I hate having those ugly weights scratching up my wheels. The wheels on my dad's malibu look like crap now because the weights have scratched them up so much the protective coating is peeling off.

Archived