Anybody running Thorley or Try-y headers?

383ss

they look to be a great value for the $$$ and are supposed to be great for low and mid-range TQ. does anyone on here have any experienc with them?? track times, dyno numbers or just SOTP feel?? they sound like they will be great for towing also. :cool:

if nobody has seen them, this is what they look like... basically a long tube.

dte-310y_w.jpg

I have one of the first set of Doug Thorley tri-Y's, bought about 15 years ago for my '70 Ram Air Firebird. I really like them, a lot. The science is sound, and they were really made well, the fit-up was excellent. There is almost no room on the pass-side of a 2nd gen F-body and these fit perfect. The fit-up was the biggest reason I bought them, none of the plumbing hangs below the frame, all other headers for that application had tubes below the frame rail and I squashed both a set of Hookers and Hedmans. My only complaint is that they were produced with a 5/16" thick flange, I would recommend today a 3/8" or thicker flange to hold a gasket better.

Mr. P. :)

sorry for the edit --> Thorleys are usually tuned for mid-range performance, 2000 to 6000, which worked fantastic for my big Pontiac. But if you are exhausting a FI engine research first to see how they do in a FI upper-RPM application.

those look really good, and for that price for some mid/long tubes :thumbs: i would like to hear of somebody who has had them on their truck though and what results.

i couldnt find the correct application though as far as fitment goes on fitting our trucks.

I had them on my 96 and they worked great. Never rusted, sealed up well, and I think that they gave decent power. They are chrome so they will blue, but you can buy them ceramic coated for about $540 from summit. They do not make them just for our trucks, but their kit for the 5.3 will work on our trucks. You just have to block off the EGR for them.

Aaron

I built a 6L motor for slowprocess on the ls1tech site. 2wd single cab. I hand ported the 6L heads and installed a thunder 224 cam. He put those thorleys on when he had the motor installed along with a Yank 3000. With a mailorder tune and 2 weeks on the motor, he drove it to the thunder shootout and ran a 12.6x on motor. I'd say the thorleys are working well.

awesome. :smash:

it looks like the 310Y's will work on our trucks, but I'm not completely sure. trying to get a response from them on that. if they say they should fit, I'll buy a set and let you guys know. I'll get dyno and gtech/track results too :thumbs:

I know the Tri-Y desing has been around for years with great success, and so has Doug Thorley Headers. I'm curious about them, too. I want headers for mine, and was looking at Togs, but they are kind of pricey, also.

MisterP, I know what you mean about the old Pontiacs. I have a 70 GTO, and the pass side header was the lowest point on the car. The drivers side was the second lowest. Had to take speed bumps reeeeeeaaaaaal slow.

awesome.  :smash: 

it looks like the 310Y's will work on our trucks, but I'm not completely sure.  trying to get a response from them on that.  if they say they should fit, I'll buy a set and let you guys know.  I'll get dyno and gtech/track results too  :thumbs:

Hmmm... The California ARB EO listing for Doug Thorley Headers shows a listing for: 2002-2003 GM Trucks and SUVs with a 6.0L V8 and No EGR

But I'm not seeing that on their website. Perhaps they have other models available that aren't listed :dunno:

awesome.   :smash:  

it looks like the 310Y's will work on our trucks, but I'm not completely sure.  trying to get a response from them on that.  if they say they should fit, I'll buy a set and let you guys know.  I'll get dyno and gtech/track results too  :thumbs:

Hmmm... The California ARB EO listing for Doug Thorley Headers shows a listing for: 2002-2003 GM Trucks and SUVs with a 6.0L V8 and No EGR

But I'm not seeing that on their website. Perhaps they have other models available that aren't listed :dunno:

I read they were developing a header specifically for 6.0L applications, p/n 312Y, but decided not to finish it :(

awesome.   :smash:  

I read they were developing a header specifically for 6.0L applications, p/n 312Y, but decided not to finish it :(

I emailed thorley headers asking about the CARB status as well as what the deal with their 6.0L headers are, and told the guy that there is some interest in the SS community for some Tri-Y headers.

He responded with...

Yes there is a EO#D-540, but only good for the 1999 through 2000.

The part number is 309 that would fit your truck but is short style header.

I have sold this 310Y to some people that want the tri-y header works good

on the LS1 engine group.

Archived