Scams - ever seen one like this?

BenKey

I get those scam emails almost daily :banghead: . Most scams are really easy to pick out. When they have a link they want you to click on, just put your mouse over it and internet explorer will show the true link at the bottom. Even if it is legit, never use a link to log-in to any account you have. The most common scams are paypal and eBay ones.

I get those scam emails almost daily :banghead: . Most scams are really easy to pick out. When they have a link they want you to click on, just put your mouse over it and internet explorer will show the true link at the bottom. Even if it is legit, never use a link to log-in to any account you have. The most common scams are paypal and eBay ones.

IE only shows you the link behind the HTML tag -- it won't help if the scammer has spoofed a domain -- check out my post above about Firefox and Spoofstick

Guys, I really recommend Firefox and an extension for it called SpoofStick.  Spoofstick is a little info bar at the top of the render window that shows you the *actual* address of the site you are visiting.  It also has a neat feature that will tell you if you are being redirected to a site that might be attempting to trick you (for instance on a pw protected site that redirects you to another site where the pw isn't required, it will inform you and gives a pop up that allows you to stop the page from loading).

As far as the Nigerian scam -- I got my first one in 1999 ;)  Back then they just asked for your account number by email so they could "transfer the funds to you" :lol:

im a big fan of firefox...works great for me and has for a couple years now... i never get pop ups or any problems associated...unlike the computers at the office...with IE we always have problems with something or another..

Archived