Step by step how to Clear 03+ Headlights

Sick Boy

A member (DGIEPSS) pmed me how to do this and asked if i can post here about it.

So here you are if intrested.

Want to know how to get that ugly yellow out the lense?

:(

ClearCorners0001.gif

What is needed.

1. Two butter knives

2. Home oven

3. Hair dryer

4. Permatex Black Silicone Adhesive. (Waterproof and flexible. Temperature range -80°F to 450°F; resists oil, water, weather, vibration, grease.)ClearCorners0002.gif

6. X-acto knife

7. Wet cloth towel to keep your fingers clean of silicone.

8. Patience

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Total time: At lest 4 hours for all 4 head lamps.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

First pre heat your oven to about 175-200F for about 5-10 mins, depending on the actual temperature of the oven. Leave the headlights in there until they are somewhat warm to the touch. Start at one end of the headlight, and use a dull object such as a butter knife or dull screwdriver to separate the headlights.

Start with your turn signal lamps. One at a time only.

Take out your butter knife and work it around the seam cutting the black OEM silicone. Start first with the inside part of the lense not the side with the yellow marker. Reason being that the yellow side is the hardest to get open becuse of the curvy joints. This is very important.

1.gif

ClearCorners0004.gif

Get your hair dryer and heat up the silicone that is harder to get out. Here is shown the side i want you to work with first.

ClearCorners0006.gif

Once you have gotten most of the silicon loose around most of the lense gently try to pry open the inside lense first. Again use your hair dryer for the harder parts. *Note dont touch the silver inside or the inside of the clear lense. KEEP YOUR GREASY LITTLE FINGERS AWAY! =)

Use two knifes if it helps. *Note, Dont break of any tabs, they help you secure the headlight in place.

ClearCorners0008.gif

Try to pull it apart gently and it should look like this.

As you can see the yellow lense is still intact. Again, heat up that last spot to remove.

ClearCorners0009.gif

ClearCorners0010.gif

Now pull apart once soft.

ClearCorners0012.gif

here you can see how the yellow marker is put together. One solid pice than can be easily taken out.

ClearCorners0019.gif

Clear!

ClearCorners0013.gif

Remove any loose particals and major silicone that is left on both parts.

Now return both parts to the oven for another 5-10 min to soften up the silicon.

ClearCorners0015.gif

Take out and apply the Prematex Silicon around the Black case. Put a substantial amount! But be very carful to not let it over flow in your new nice shiny clear lense! This part take the utter most precision.:D

Now you can close the lense and put something heavy such as books on top so it can secure tightly.

ClearCorners0018.gif

Let it dry al least over night. Dont put them right away in your truck.

After the black silicon is dry you can cut any excess silicone that flowed over with an exacto knife.

Now to the headlights

Put in the oven for 5-10 min.

TAKE OUT YOUR BULBS FIRST!!!!:idiot: I wouldnt let you put them in the oven with out tellin' you right?

Use the same procedure explained. Dont try to work the yellow part. Its more difficult.

ClearCorners0023.gif

Work around it, hold your headlight inplace.

ClearCorners0022.gif

ClearCorners0024.gif

The headlights are harder to take apart, keep on working and heating with the hair dryer!

Then walla!

Here i have already removed the yellow lense. I also had to remove the Black pice that is found with in the clear lense.

ClearCorners0025.gif

Then put it back in the oven.

Burn Baby Burn!

ClearCorners0021.gif

Now apply silicone:D

ClearCorners0027.gif

Let it sit over night.

Fullcure is actually 24 hrs.

NOW TO THE FINAL PRODUCT!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

8.jpg

Yes i am aware of the grammer mistakes but im being lazy and not fixing them untill i find the time. :happysad:

Do you place in a new clear lense...or just remove the old yellow/orange lense in this process? Overall that looks soo simple, and it looks sweet! That is an awesome how to.... and a relitively inexpensive upgrade! Thankx a lot. :thumbs:

I just took my parking lights out and redid them. Heres a warning, Seal them up the FIRST time %100. I didnt and they kept fogging up, which wasnt the bad part. When I seperated them, I noticed that they had a permanent black residue now. Its not that bad though, just a little bit of a tint to it.

ALL I AM SAYING IS DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME AND DO NOT PUT IT OFF FOR A LONG TIME IF THEY DID NOT SEAL RIGHT. :thumbs:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived