Step by step how to Clear 03+ Headlights

Sick Boy

Yeah I know its old and yes I dug it up.

That is awesome! Anyone want to come do mine for me? I'll pay you. There is no way in h*ll I could do that w/o messing it up. The other day I burned myself with a screw and had a hell of a time just hanging brushes in my horse's stall. Don't ask......

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, a real screw. It was just my arm. I don't know what you are thinking :D I did not know screws got hot after they are drilled in and out of wood w/ a power drill. My bad! Me and tools go together like water and oil.

Yeah I know its old and yes I dug it up. 

That is awesome!  Anyone want to come do mine for me?  I'll pay you.  There is no way in h*ll I could do that w/o messing it up.  The other day I burned myself with a screw and had a hell of a time just hanging brushes in my horse's stall.  Don't ask......

I can do them for you if you want to pay for a 6-pack of beer, supplies and shipping to CA. Buy you would be with out headlights and park lamps for a few days...

Any one have pix of what this looks like at night? I like the clear look in the day time. I am thinking about doing this to mine. Did ya'll use an amber or clear blub for the parking lights.

here is mine day and night shot

blackwood%20011.jpg

I opted to paint the stock markers black instead of remove them. In the park lamp I masked off the rectanglular box untill the last coat of black. For the last coat I removed the mask and put one light layer so the light will still come through. Here it is and it is kind of dark from the glare of the HID's

blackwood%20012.jpg

• 1 year later...

I'm getting ready to do this to different set of headlights I bought and had a quick question. I see on this "How to" the reflector is just removed, have any of you painted the reflector or is removing it the way to go?

Mine are painted; you're going to want to do this as you have a black truck :cool: I would recommend you do like bgdsub72 and I did and leave a 3/8" lightly shaded slot that will allow the marker light through at night, that way you're still legal. I painted the inside of my reflector lenses with silver/oakie chrome to help with the intensity at night. If you can, let the painted lenses really gas off, because if allowed to cure inside the headlamp housing it will develop a light haze inside the headlamp that can be seen indoors.

Mr. P. :)

Mine are painted; you're going to want to do this as you have a black truck  :cool:  I would recommend you do like bgdsub72 and I did and leave a 3/8" lightly shaded slot that will allow the marker light through at night, that way you're still legal.  I painted the inside of my reflector lenses with silver/oakie chrome to help with the intensity at night.  If you can, let the painted lenses really gas off, because if allowed to cure inside the headlamp housing it will develop a light haze inside the headlamp that can be seen indoors.

OK, so you painted the inside and outside of the orange lenses, but left that little slot right? What kind of paint did you use and was there any sanding at all?

After getting the reflector lenses out, I just *quickly* poured xylol (any other harsh paint thinner will work) over the inside and outside to cut the surface gloss and blew dry. I then took a strip 3/8" x 1-1/8" masking tape and covered the opening for the marker light (you'll see where to mask on the inside of the lense). Then I painted the inside with 2-3 coats of oakie chrome (silver), then the outside 2-3 coats gloss black. The final step was removing the outside piece of masking tape, and lightly dusting the lense with a single coat of black enamel enough to hide the yellow but allow plenty of light through, you could use lense tint instead for this last step and probably do better than me. Use a flashlight to check how much light can escape through your window, I think the law says you need to be able to see it 300-ft to be legal :dunno: but mine look good enough that no officer has given it a second glance. :thumbs:

Someone should start clearing these lights as a business because they would make bank! I know I would pay someone to do it. I'm in the middle of doing this and I can't see how anyone can do this without an extra set of headlights. As it stands right now, I've taken apart three of the four.

I know its hell I wanted to get them somked but when I heard they had to come apart again I was like F@#$ that I put so much Silcone cause I was scared they would leak those things will never come apart! It took me two days to do! I know ur PAIN! :banghead:

Someone should start clearing these lights as a business because they would make bank! I know I would pay someone to do it. I'm in the middle of doing this and I can't see how anyone can do this without an extra set of headlights. As it stands right now, I've taken apart three of the four.

I know its hell I wanted to get them somked but when I heard they had to come apart again I was like F@#$ that I put so much Silcone cause I was scared they would leak those things will never come apart! It took me two days to do! I know ur PAIN! :banghead:

Yeah I know what you mean, I'm thinking of doing mine over.

Archived