Wind noise with recirc on

kmsss

Trucks at the dealer right now, they have my dash tore out :confused:

There is a wind noise that starts around 45-50MPH.

It only happens with the climate control set to recirculate.

Sounds like a windshield noise on passenger side. Just was wondering if anyone else had the same problem. I think its the fresh air flap not sealing completely shut causing the noise, should have just done it myself. Went there tonight and they have it all torm apart and they spray foamed around the fresh air inlet. Dont know if I like the quality of their repair attempt! :nono:

There was another post about this a few months back. I know quite a few people had this problem including me, but I don't think anyone had an easy fix for it. Most were worried they would create other rattles if they took the dash out. Let us know how it turns out.

I have the same problem. The dealer kept my truck for two days and they could not find the problem they contacted Chevy and they said that they do not have a fix for the problem and that I have to deal with it to they find a way to fix it :banghead:

Feel lucky BigT, I just got my truck back, they had it for the whole week. They tore my dash out! They spray foamed the hell out of my firewall where the fresh air intake is, AND they still didn't fix it!! :banghead: But the good news is I fixed it myself, stupid me for thinking a chevy dealer could fix a chevy!! The problem is the seal around the fresh air flap, or lack of one. There are two little tabs(there by design) on the heater box that hold the fresh air flap open a little bit. When the flap is closed the air whistles threw that gap causing the noise. Home Depot to the rescue once again! They sell a rubber door weatherstrip, about 1/4 inch thick, it is D shaped

and is hollow in the middle. I placed this on the heater box where the flap sits when closed. Make sure its on good, if it falls off it will drop right into the blower cage!! Oh yeh, to get to the opening there is a cover that needs to be removed, it is sealed to the cowl and you need to cut it open and reach under cowl threw opening beside it. There are tabs holding it to the cowl, just bend them slightly to undo to cover.

Hope this helps, if it bugs you enough fix it, if not take gm's advice and live with it :thumbs:

I have the same problem. The dealer kept my truck for two days and they could not find the problem they contacted Chevy and they said that they do not have a fix for the problem and that I have to deal with it to they find a way to fix it :banghead:

They are waiting for your warranty to run out.

Feel lucky BigT, I just got my truck back, they had it for the whole week.  They tore my dash out!  They spray foamed the hell out of my firewall where the fresh air intake is, AND they still didn't fix it!! :banghead:  But the good news is I fixed it myself, stupid me for thinking a chevy dealer could fix a chevy!!  The problem is the seal around the fresh air flap, or lack of one.  There are two little tabs(there by design) on the heater box that hold the fresh air flap open a little bit.  When the flap is closed the air whistles threw that gap causing the noise.  Home Depot to the rescue once again!  They sell a rubber door weatherstrip, about 1/4 inch thick, it is D shaped

and is hollow in the middle.  I placed this on the heater box where the flap sits when closed.  Make sure its on good, if it falls off it will drop right into the blower cage!!  Oh yeh, to get to the opening there is a cover that needs to be removed, it is sealed to the cowl and you need to cut it open and reach under cowl threw opening beside it. There are tabs holding it to the cowl, just bend them slightly to undo to cover. 

Hope this helps, if it bugs you enough fix it, if not take gm's advice and live with it :thumbs:

Dude, killer. I will forward that back to my friend so he can fix his Av...

Mr. P. :)

The problem is the seal around the fresh air flap, or lack of one.  There are two little tabs(there by design) on the heater box that hold the fresh air flap open a little bit.  When the flap is closed the air whistles threw that gap causing the noise.  Home Depot to the rescue once again!  They sell a rubber door weatherstrip, about 1/4 inch thick, it is D shaped

and is hollow in the middle.  I placed this on the heater box where the flap sits when closed.  Make sure its on good, if it falls off it will drop right into the blower cage!!  Oh yeh, to get to the opening there is a cover that needs to be removed, it is sealed to the cowl and you need to cut it open and reach under cowl threw opening beside it. There are tabs holding it to the cowl, just bend them slightly to undo to cover. 

Could you by chance take pics of where you are talking about because I would like to do this, and I am not quite sure where everything is that you are talking about. Thanks

Aaron

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
There was another post about this a few months back.  I know quite a few people had this problem including me, but I don't think anyone had an easy fix for it.  Most were worried they would create other rattles if they took the dash out.  Let us know how it turns out.

That was probably me back in December I think. I have a problem with the passenger side of my dash making noises but this isn't the same thing you guys are talking about. My dash makes a quacking noise (constantly). Most of the time it is very faint but still noticeable. The duck has been there for about four months now. Makes the noise with heat or A/C off, radio off, engine off :dunno: . It's gonna go in pretty soon because I have pulled it apart to no avail. I did give it the good ol' Chevy kick and it stopped for about 10 minutes :crackup:

Sorry man haven't been paying attention to the posts! Getting pictures is kinda tuff, since it's all back together. I will try to explain it a bit more. To get to the access hole you need to remove the wiper arms and the black cowl panel. Under the panel on the pass side you will see a square plastic cover (it is painted body color) that is sealed/glued to the body, take a knife and carefully cut around the outline of it. Reach threw the hole to the left (towards center of cab) and bend the tabs on that plastic cover while pushing it up and off. Once that is off you will see the fresh air flap. I applied the weatherstrip to the heater box, not the flap. Once again, make sure the strip sticks good, otherwise it will fallen into the blower cage. Hope that helps, let me know. Kurt

Archived