Possible change of plans

BenKey

Ben, I seem to be in the minority here but go with the turbo setup. I think once you get it on and get a taste for the whistle, you'll be happy with your decision. Plus you don't have to run to the speed shop to get refills.

From a tranny standpoint, just turn your boost down until the 80e is a viable solution.

Either way, it's going to be fast for a truck/daily driver. :thumbs:

my vote is turbo also :thumbs: nothing beats the sound of a turbo and the feeling of boost :driving:

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There is nothing unreliable about the turbo. If anything the turbo would be more reliable power, IMO (because you're never out :P ).

Ben, it is definitely worth it. On the tune front, if you end up doing a megasquirt, the unit can be had for around $270 prebuilt and the wiring harness looks pretty easy to do yourself. I will be able to give you all the setup info (and a copy of mine). Of course, you can also cruise down here and get Titan Motorsports to do a dyno tune if you bring your Edit. They're a little pricey, but they are very experienced turbo tuners. Either option would get your tuned in a day. Parish tuned his setup in 2 hours using MS.

Having said that, I'd still do which ever option is putting a gleam in your eye. Fun is more important than fast, IMO.

Did I really just say that? :dunno::crackup:

Just getting the feeling lately that it's not really worth the effort.  Just really need to drive the truck for a while and enjoy it again.

That is basically what I was reffering to in my original post, but it seems like you took it the wrong way by your reply. Whatever, no big deal, I guess I just shouldn't have said anything because it seems like I hit a touchy spot! I just call it like I see it! :dunno:

Good luck with whatever you decide! :thumbs:

Late- Alex

it's hard to stay positive when your truck isn't driving. I for now have an blown engine with an blown gearbox :banghead: . It's hard to wait on parts (trailblazer t.c.) But try to stay positive, no winter for our trucks, low mileage, when they run again the difference with the temporary fourbanger (mine '96 m.b. 230e, your honda) will be huge and put a big smile on our face's :thumbsup:

It's not really the cost.  Just getting the feeling lately that it's not really worth the effort.  Just really need to drive the truck for a while and enjoy it again.

Ben, FWIW I've been in your postiion many times. It is easy to loose interest when you can't even drive the darn thing. My .02 cents (Hang in there) May you have nothing but good luck from this day forward :)

it's hard to stay positive when your truck isn't driving. I for now have an blown engine with an blown gearbox :banghead: . It's hard to wait on parts (trailblazer t.c.) But try to stay positive, no winter for our trucks, low mileage, when they run again the difference with the temporary fourbanger (mine '96 m.b. 230e, your honda) will be huge and put a big smile on our face's  :thumbsup:

Ouch! What happened to the engine, Chiel? What are the plans for recovery?

it's hard to stay positive when your truck isn't driving. I for now have an blown engine with an blown gearbox :banghead: . It's hard to wait on parts (trailblazer t.c.) But try to stay positive, no winter for our trucks, low mileage, when they run again the difference with the temporary fourbanger (mine '96 m.b. 230e, your honda) will be huge and put a big smile on our face's  :thumbsup:

The engine is blown with a intercooled vortech. :D:D:D

When you have a blower the engine is blown or is my english not correct :dunno::dunno:

When you have a blower the engine is blown or is my english not correct :dunno::dunno:

i think erik might have just read it wrong...

I'm glad I am not in your spot Ben. I would be miserable without my truck. To complicate things mine is also an everyday truck. I would love to have a fast truck like many of you do but for me reliability means more.

It seems as though your in a room with no doors so to speak. Too many choices!

Get your truck running for now...The most reliable way you can. Do your move, Get comfortable at your new place and enjoy your truck again. When the smoke clears a bit get your plans finalized and hopefully there will be a trans strong enough for what the engine puts out. As far as selling the stuff you have already...Why?....Unless you are in a money crunch that stuff is already paid for. You can sell it later if your new plans dictate.

Make yourself some breathing room and get that truck running. You will feel better.

Quick :flag:

Ah GOOD!! From the context, I read it as a "blown engine" (as in blew up, broken rods, mashed pistons) because of the "blown gearbox" (as in "shoulda been an 80E from the factory! :))

Archived