The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World

04CHASE

The Most Powerful Diesel Engine in the World

http://www.bath.ac.uk/~ccsshb/12cyl/

Some facts on the 14 cylinder version:

Total engine weight: 2300 tons (The crankshaft alone weighs 300 tons.)

Length: 89 feet

Height: 44 feet

Maximum power: 108,920 hp at 102 rpm

Maximum torque: 5,608,312 lb/ft at 102rpm

rta96c_crank.jpg

wonder what the compression ratio is on the thing...and with a larger turbo...and stroke and maybe a higher rocker arm ratio...you might be able to raise the rev limiter the thing should move :cheers:

I saw that thing on TV, don't remmeber what show or channel. What i can't figure out is, they said they can shut each cylinderdown one at a time if one needs servicing, and a repairman can actually go into the crankcase under the pistion and work on the rod, pistion or any of that other crap in there, how do they do that??

Nate

What i can't figure out is, they said they can shut each cylinderdown one at a time if one needs servicing, and a repairman can actually go into the crankcase under the pistion and work on the rod, pistion or any of that other crap in there, how do they do that??

Same way Chevy's newer engines will have DOD (displacement on demand) and Damler Chrystler already is using it on the current HEMI's. The PCM actually can shut down some of the cylinders when cruising to conserve fuel and then whe you jump on it turn em back on... really a great idea.

What i can't figure out is, they said they can shut each cylinderdown one at a time if one needs servicing, and a repairman can actually go into the crankcase under the pistion and work on the rod, pistion or any of that other crap in there, how do they do that??

Same way Chevy's newer engines will have DOD (displacement on demand) and Damler Chrystler already is using it on the current HEMI's. The PCM actually can shut down some of the cylinders when cruising to conserve fuel and then whe you jump on it turn em back on... really a great idea.

Cadilac did that in the late 70s early 80s with the 4-6-8 system, but it was a joke. The DOD is a much improved set up.

Cadilac did that in the late 70s early 80s with the 4-6-8 system, but it was a joke. The DOD is a much improved set up.

Yea but the piston would still be moving? The guy on the tv said they could open up the chamber under the piston (there is a door) and actually crawl in there to do service.

Nate

Archived