Finally an affordable Longtube!!!

383ss

Has anyone looked into Hooker SuperComp headers? I had a set on my 69 Camaro, and they fit like a glove, flowed like crazy and were very well made. If they aren't making them for the SS yet, they probably will with enough requests.

It's the only Header I have experience with that I would put on my SS. They aren't cheap, but they last, especially if you pop for the Ceramic Thermal coating :cheers:

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply
i was just at ls1tech.com, and i read many good things about pacesetter.  there were only a few complaints, mainly with rusting.  it seemed like every post i read, people were reccomeding pacesetters long tube headers.  one thing i did read though is that they are only coated on the outside, and not the inside.  anybody know if that will effect performance gains?  would ASM's be coated on the insides?

I have been hearing some good things about them too :dunno:

i was just at ls1tech.com, and i read many good things about pacesetter.  there were only a few complaints, mainly with rusting.  it seemed like every post i read, people were reccomeding pacesetters long tube headers.  one thing i did read though is that they are only coated on the outside, and not the inside.  anybody know if that will effect performance gains?  would ASM's be coated on the insides?

I have been hearing some good things about them too :dunno:

such hard choices. i hear plenty of good at one site, and plenty of bad here. :banghead::banghead::banghead::dunno:

Sound advice from my dad stays with me to this day. If it sounds to good to be true, it probably is. You get what you pay for, you have to pay for quality.

The smart approach here is to get some dyno numbers on all headers you're considering and compare them, choose the best bang for the buck. After all, it is the gains that made you want to install headers in the first place isn't it?

Good luck on the decision...!

:seeya:

I am absolutely thrilled with my Dynatechs. :D

They were a pain in the a$$ to install, but the result is worth every cut and bruise.

I learned a long time ago never go cheap.

Cost effective is one thing, I don't throw money away, cheap is another... :thumbs:

WW :cool:

well i just got done making some phone calls about these LT pacesetters. i am gonna get some now. after reading ls1tech.com in the truck secton, there are a couple of guys that have bought them and said they are very nice with great finish and quality, and the welds are great, etc. anyways, the headers have 3 inch collectors and are a complete bolt on design if you get the off road y pipe. no welding required. BE ADVISED.---- THE PRICE IS GOING TO GO UP ON THESE HEADERS NEXT MONTH. so perhaps they just arent cheaply made, but they are in an introductory phase. anyways, i will be the test for them. iam gonna order some today. on ls1tech.com there are actually a few guys trying to sell their ASMs and TOGs so they can buy these for their trucks. why i dont know, but they must have alot of faith in pacesetter. wish me good luck.

first of all....the going rate for long tubes are 700-1000 depending on where ya go....so you tell me...do you think that you are going to get a decent product for 200-300?  second, i agree with everyone else.  they arent to reputable.  by all means, if ya want to pick up a couple extra horses for the least amount of money, then so be it, but i wouldnt suggest it.  third, as i posted in another post, i know of two places to get the long tubes.  arizona speed and marine, and thunder racing.  ill have a report from the ones at thunder racing within the next few days.

the reason they are priced that high is because there isn't that much competition. those prices are rediculous :shakehead: I agree they don't have the greatest reputation, but I'd rather spend 1/2 the money and take my chances.

well i just got done making some phone calls about these LT pacesetters.  i am gonna get some now.  after reading ls1tech.com in the truck secton, there are a couple of guys that have bought them and said they are very nice with great finish and quality, and the welds are great, etc.  anyways, the headers have 3 inch collectors and are a complete bolt on design if you get the off road y pipe.  no welding required.  BE ADVISED.----  THE PRICE IS GOING TO GO UP ON THESE HEADERS NEXT MONTH.  so perhaps they just arent cheaply made, but they are in an introductory phase.  anyways, i will be the test for them.  iam gonna order some today.  on ls1tech.com there are actually a few guys trying to sell their ASMs and TOGs so they can buy these for their trucks.  why i dont know, but they must have alot of faith in pacesetter.  wish me good luck.

we don't have a Y-pipe. :shakehead: I wonder if they have a diffrent kit for the SS.

A good header consists of a few variables:

1- 14 or 16 ga. primary tubing a must. Thicker lasts longer. Headers burn out after a few hundred thousand miles / or years. Buy the best you can afford, surely you don't enjoy putting on new ones all the time?

2- mandrel bent tubes- better for flow, also an industry standard now-a-days

3- Flange thickness, the thicker the better. Hookers are min. 3/8" up to 7/16" thick

Collecter design varies. Most of us would appreciate the factory cone/donut gasket type for better fitment and ease of use. Not as many blown collector gaskets to deal with.

Also, the higher end pipes will have a Thermal coating on the inside and outside, and come with premium grade -8 stainless or black oxide bolts. Always use never seize on them... or dip them in plain Mallox (white kind) it is a killer anti-seize plus it smells minty when you run it! You can always go to HPC or Jett-Hot and have them coated if you buy cheaper ones that fit good!

The single most important factor is that they fit! This means no rattles on the frame, or no roasting the starter and other underhood goodies. A heat shield around the plastic steering shaft cover is going to be a good idea. You could even wrap them with thermal insulating tape before the install, it is not pretty, but it works.

When I finally get around to putting headers on my SS, it'll be the best set of Hooker's made, and I'll have them coated myself locally.

I know it's a pain to do, but you're much better off to install them and adjust the fit for plug clearance/ chassis clearance etc... before having them coated. I know, I've done a few the hard way!

yep, the y-pipe is for the 5.3 and 4.8's.  These headers will NOT bolt up yet, and I have been trying to find out if they will be making bolt-up pipes for the 6.0 with no luck yet.  Not saying that these headers won't work, but there will be welding involved for our trucks.

yea your right, i forgot how our trucks wont work with the ORY. i was just underneath my truck for a refresher. some welding will be required to get these on, kinda like the ASM, i guess. the only thing is, is that these headers dont come with flanges to fit, they just leave off at the collectors. i may just end up haveing them welding onto the pipe before the cats(mine are gutted already, and i have no sniffer test, so i dont plan on removing them)

nobody buy the pacesetters just yet. :banghead: after several phone calls, i discoverd i was told the wrong information. pacesetter has not tested these headers on a AWD/4x4 vehicle yet, and neither has texas speed despite what they told me the first time. i will be in contact with them though, and ill keep everybody up on the status. they are supposedly putting these on a dyno soon as well.

Archived