Anybody have and info on a wired FM modulator?

ThePDB

From what I'm hearing the only way to hook the ipod up with losing factory XM is with an FM modulator. A few people said that a wired FM modulator would give superior sound. In my history, FM modulators suck... but I've never had a wired one. DAMN XM radio!!! :banghead: Anyone try one yet? Let me know. Chad

I wasted about about $100 on FM moduators. First I bought a cheap one that plays through one set radio station. Absolute garbage! Then I bought what was supposed to be the top of the line, where you can pick any radio station you want it to play on. Even that one has the sound quality of a cassette player. Hard wiring the Ipod is the only way to go. Haven't done it myself yet but you can get the cables here:

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/perphipod2car.html

From what I'm hearing the only way to hook the ipod up with losing factory XM is with an FM modulator.  A few people said that a wired FM modulator would give superior sound.  In my history, FM modulators suck... but I've never had a wired one.  DAMN XM radio!!!  :banghead:  Anyone try one yet?  Let me know.  Chad

There is NO good FM mod, they all suck, engine noise, crackling popping and such, they will have a way to keep the XM and the iPod sooner or later, but as of now, you have to choose. sorry!

FM modulation is always going to sound inferior to a hardwired setup... especially considering something like XM radio or MP3's (Ipod). The reason is that modulation is the process of turning a signal into an analog channel... when you originate w/ a digital media, and then convert it to analog, then transmit it wirelessly to the final processing point it has been downgraded so much that the quality is extremely poor.

Don't waste your time on a modulator... hardwire it or don't bother with it at all.

i have xm and hardwired sirius in but i changed decks to do this. now i have an aux mode to switch to. now it sound alot better than the fm mod from before. :thumbs:

Thanks for everyones advice! I really wanna hardwire it, but I really dont wanna lose XM. I agree that sooner or later they will come up with a way to hook it up with XM, but I'm impatient! I wish there was a way to hook it up with XM, even if it didnt work with the radio controls. I'll get over it... I'll just have to find something else to buy :) Again, thanks everyone :thumbs:

Archived