Annoying Chime

TexaSS

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All.

I stumbled across something that may help somewhat with this chime. :wtf: It doesn't get rid of it completly but you can mute it while washing or whatever when the doors are open. Did I get your attention? :):):) I found this on my 03 SS by accident but it may work on yours too.

Say you want to listen to your factory stereo while the doors are open or you are using a vac and the annoying chime is driving you crazy, Do the following.

While the ignition is in the accy position, turn your radio to a preset station of your choice. Whatever that preset number is, PRESS AND HOLD THIS NUMBER till it beeps twice. If it does not mute the chime press the same preset again and hold till the beeps are heard. Usually at the second time it will mute the chime. As long as the key stays in the accy position the chime will stay muted. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I don't know if this will work on all radios but it worked on mine. I have the single disc/cassette with xm. I know it doesn't completly get rid of it, but it is alot easier to deal with when washing or anything that involves keys in and doors open.

Let me know if this helps anyone. :thumbs:

Edited by quickmedic1 (see edit history)

Did that so often I disconnected the heated seats. Living in Phx it's not something I would ever use anyway. Some day, when I sell it, I'll let the buyer know how to re-connect. ;)

~sniff~ Thanks, QM. I don't know what to say (rare condition for me). You made my day, buddy. ;) ;) ;) And my day today was one of those you like to forget.....Murphy's Law and all that.

Thanks to you also George. :cheers:

• 2 months later...
A few questions:

Does this procedure isolate all of the doors from the DIC?

If a rear door is open, will a message appear on the DIC?

Are the chimes from all doors affected, or just the driver's door? (I think it chimes when a door opens while not in park - but I can't remember at the moment)

Since the "key-in" door locks are disabled, will the "shift to drive" door locks work?

Will this procedure work on ANY 2003 GM truck (not just SS)?

thanks!

My guess - the 'green wire' does not tell the computer anything about the doors, but rather the ignition. By disconnecting this lead, the computer now does not know if there is a key in the ignition cylinder or not. I am bummed to loose the 'seat adjust on key-in' feature, and I may put the lead back in the connector...

Mr. P. :)

One last thing on removing the wire and getting rid of the chime.  What I didn't realize, although eluded to in someone's input, is that you actually "can" lock the key in the ignition now.  Ordinarily, the driver's door will not lock with the key in the ignition.  Removing the wire takes away the chime, but also takes away the idiot protection.  So, like everything else I guess, it's a trade-off.

Onstar: "Onstar"

TJ: "Yah I followed this tutorial online to turn off my door chimes and well haha...

Onstar: *DOORS UNLOCK*

TJ: Thank you ONSTAR. Your the greatest. :thumbs:

Not to go completely off topic, but I noticed my dads, 2004 silverado has flush mounted heated seat buttons, instead of the embosed looking buttons that my ss has. If the heated seat buttons really bother you, you could simply get am 04' panel and or switch to make if flush with the plastic so you wont accidently hit it.....

Just a thought :cheers: