Annoying Chime

TexaSS

The chime is THE-MOST ANNOYING THING IN THE WORLD.

I open the door and put the key in before shuttng the door:

BING...

BING...

BING...

For no reason after the engine starts:

BING...

BING...

BING...

My passenger or I don't get my seatbelt on in time:

BING...

BING...

BING...

I'd rather have freakin, FRAN DRESHER's annoying laugh played though the speakers rather than that stupid "BING" noise.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 5 months later...

So, after reading the whole topic, I guess we can say the problem still isn't fixed, unless you install an aftermarket radio.

I'm about to order a compleet manual about the car, and otherwise I'm going to ask a garage overhere if they have a electrical plan...

They already send me one about the stereo, so shouldn't be that hard.

Any more suggestions, cause I hate that chime..

P.

• 3 months later...

:smash:

Procedure for On off switch for radio chime.

Bing

Bing

Bi **Click**

Silence

**Click**

ing

Bing…

Old chimes you could wack. GM found out we did this and made it harder to kill em. They forget we get 'Numb' to the blasted thing going off all the time. When it does go off it's ignored as a nuisance simply because it goes off all the time anyway! Door open with key in ignition is the worst offender. Not shutting up immediately when the seatbelt is fastened, but continuing to finish the chime sequence is unforgivable. Chime for passenger seatbelt while driving is a distraction to the driver. That decision was made before the vehicle was set in motion. No need to cause an accident by distracting the driver over it later.

Lets fix the chime with a factory radio. First, you don't want the chime for anything. Blow an engine from lack of a warning chime is a small worth it price to pay for silence! You would ignore the chime anyway because its going off for something else, like low fuel, all the time anyway. You do need the chime to do some programming on some models.

This said lets go.

Do you really need the front to rear fader? The chime is in the front speaker. 4 Ohm speakers. You lose the Front to Rear fader and have to turn up the volume to double the normal setting. Only disadvantages.

Take out the radio.

Take care to keep the speaker polarity the same. A dc voltmeter showing you plus and minus readings will help you see on average what wire is more positive. Write down the polarity for all four speakers. Plus of one goes to the negative on the second to put them in series.

Optional: Get an Xm wire kit for the Terk XM add on. This allows you to mess up the radio wires in the Terk connector without harm to the body connector. All it does is extend the radio wires and give the Terk it's power and vehicle data.

Rewire the speakers to bridge the left front to left rear speaker together in series to get 8 ohms.

Rewire the speakers to bridge the right front to right rear speaker together in series to get 8 ohms.

Wire the right bridged speakers to the right rear amp only.

Tape the front right side amp wires.

Use a DPDT switch to switch the left speakers from the left front OR left rear amp. ( To enable the chime for the rare times you need it. Or for service visits. )

Center of switch goes to speakers, first position to front amp (chime on), second to rear amp (no chime).

Hide the switch, put the radio back in...

Enjoy the silence.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
:seeya: all youm have have to do is hold the preset 1 button down on the radio for a few seconds and it will shut the chime when you have the key in the on position its a lot easier than tearing your dash apart.

all I do is turn the key to the on postion and after

a few chimes go off and the seatbelt chime goes off

there are no more chimes (about 30sec worth of chimes)

then silence

There is an easier way. Just remove the steering column covers and there is and little white plastic button right above the ignition cylinder, it just twist out, tie it back there is plenty of room under the cover that it wont touch anything, plus you don't take the chance of messing up the BCM connector. Much quicker and easier :thumbs:

There is an easier way. Just remove the steering column covers and there is and little white plastic button right above the ignition cylinder, it just twist out, tie it back there is plenty of room under the cover that it wont touch anything, plus you don't take the chance of messing up the BCM connector. Much quicker and easier :thumbs:

Doesn't that disable any thing like, seat return or

other functions that are operated by key in ignition.

• 10 months later...

Ok guys this is my way of going about this...

Depends on why the chime annoys you, if its just while you have the doors open radio on and do not wanna have the truck ignition on....THEN all i do is go to the drivers door latch, THE ACTUAL MECHANICAL LATCH IN THE DOOR, stick a finger in there and click the latch closed once and then one more time. Two clicks total and woolaaa no more chime. Just make sure you open the door handle to release the latch before you close the door :thumbs:

• 7 months later...
If you are too lazy to go look up the link, here is the important part. I am kinda tempted to try this.

I have an 03 Sierra and tried this mod. I did it the easy way just got under there and unplugged the harness and pulled out the green wire on the bottom left. I taped it off and put it all back together. It still chimes! Trying to figure out what the deal is and what I actually cut. I know I followed the directions correctly.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 12 years later...