R.I.P. Silverado SS /2005??

Dr Mike

:confused: Well I just went to www.gmcanada.com website to do a price comparaison of the 2005 Silverado SS and you can no longer price one up.

The price column comes up as NA = not available.

They have not been selling up here, in fact none of 7 local dealers sold or stocked any in 2004 and were only ordering 2005 if someone wanted to special order a unit.

With the depreciation and some used car lots asking 27K(21K U.S) for a SS with only 13,000K(7,000 miles) on it and trade-in :crackup: appraisal of 23K(18K U.S) on mine have made it financial suicide :banghead: not keeping it.

With low production numbers in 2004 and even lower for 2005, judging by website Build Your Own the end seems near?? :dunno: , very near.

Does this mean Silverado SS born 2003 in Oshawa, Ontario, Canada, R.I.P. 2005.

Holding on to them may not be a bad idea as theorectically they should not lose too much more value and stabilize or possibly gain some ground... :P Barrett-Jackson metal for the next generation in 30 years from now.

With Ex. Chrysler Pres Bob Lutz at helm of GM, bringing back GM to solid ground with products such as Solstice and cutting costs at Saturn by dumping the expensive plastic panels to metal bodies on all new models that he wants products that move and Poor sales do not bode well for SS to :ughdance: survive to next generation.

Dr Mike

Wow those are really low figures on our trucks, I was offered 27900 trade in on a new duramax, I might need to take it  :banghead:    But I love driving the SS.

I bought my SS because it's coolest truck around and was to pull my Fifth Wheel

RV.

However dream fell apart when I went to have hitch installed and told SS cannot tow a fifth wheel.

Upon further investigation, owners manual clearly states this so I contacted GM and engineers from Detroit advised me no fifth wheel towing as there could be contact between box and frame.

So checked with my insurance company and same story and warned that if something should happen while towing a fifth wheel with my SS that they would not pay my claim and that It would be liable for any damages or loss of life caused to others.

I could always take a chance and install a hitch in box and take a chance but one lawsuit and the way things work in U.S would clean me out.

That's why I had my SS appraised to trade on 2500 series and now deciding to keep it and dump Fifth Wheel RV instead.

If they are giving you almost 28K U.S not so bad...You can always add on SS parts afterwards.

Dr Mike

What do you mean by 5th wheel?

I don't really understand...

THanks

Pascal

ps, this is even better for me as I then will have the one and only SS in this country.. hhehehe

raises the value even more, can I say "Collectors Item"...

Pascal,

A fifth wheel trailer is a huge trailer pulled like a semi by a regular pickup.... I'm sure you've seen these but may have a different name that you call them..

5thwheel3.jpg

I travel quite a bit, and it never ceaces to amaze me how isolated we are as americans to how different the rest of the world really is..lol :D

What do you mean by 5th wheel?

I don't really understand...

THanks

Pascal

ps, this is even better for me as I then will have the one and only SS in this country.. hhehehe

raises the value even more, can I say "Collectors Item"...

A 5th wheel hitch looks like this and mounts in the bed.

30058_tn.jpg

i wouldn't see why you couldnt' pull a 5th wheel,  i have seen it done more than once in a ss.  the only thing you would need to do is probably put a overload helper spring in.  just watch out for those sharp turns.

I thought of doing that, but a talk to my insurance broker convinced otherwise.

Insurance companies are now checking the black boxes (all late model GM's have one) to see if they can weazel out of a claim.

They check speed, braking reaction etc.

A Fifth Wheel hicth is pretty hard to hide and when manufacturer has it in bold print in owner's manual and GM's Engineers are against it then it becomes tow at your own risk.

It may never happen(so did the recent bozo that cut me off =20K damage) but I cannot afford to take chance.

In U.S it's even worse with all the attorneys :smash: looking to make a quick kill on innocent victims, lord help anyone that has something happen while towing fifht wheel with an SS...bye bye house.

Dr Mike :ughdance:

Archived