Transmission Tunning

DaGeorge

Well the season's just about started and I'm hittin the track this friday. I really need to do some trans tuning. I have a couple of questions though. BTW Im using HPT.

1.)Setting shift points. Im lookin to shift at 5900 - 6000 RPM, and thats easy to set but where should my WOT Shift speed VS. Shift be in relation to teh 5900 to 6000. I have them set around what my mph would be around 5900 - 6000. Would this be the right way to go about this.

2.)Shift Properties: Im completly lost in this area. I kinda know what I want but dont really know how to get it there.

3.)TCC settings: I still have the stock converter. IF/When should I set it to lock up??? Also TCC Lock During shift--Should this be enabled?? I don't exactly know the benifit.

Thanks in advance

George :chevy:

Well the season's just about started and I'm hittin the track this friday.  I really need to do some trans tuning.  I have a couple of questions though.  BTW Im using HPT.

1.)Setting shift points.  Im lookin to shift at 5900 - 6000 RPM, and thats easy to set but where should my WOT Shift speed VS. Shift be in relation to teh 5900 to 6000.  I have them set around what my mph would be around 5900 - 6000.  Would this be the right way to go about this.

Just leave the WOT shift speeds alone and it will shift on (or close to) the rpm setting.

2.)Shift Properties:  Im completly lost in this area.  I kinda know what I want but dont really know how to get it there.

3.)TCC settings:  I still have the stock converter.   IF/When should I set it to lock up???  Also TCC Lock During shift--Should this be enabled?? I don't exactly know the benifit.

Thanks in advance

George :chevy:

Shift Properties - difficult to suggest much without knowing trans mods and desired shift quality. For a stock trans, you can reduce tq reduction and shift time (a little) to give peppy shifts. Upping line pressure and completely removing tq management work better with a shift kit and servos.

TCC lock during shift = no. this will hurt a stock converter

For cruise/drive conditions, locking up sooner may improve economy, while later will keep it from frequently locking and unlocking.

Deezel took care of that nicely...

One thing to note, Stock, the converter is set to lock in 3rd at 75mph, even at WOT.

I'm not sure what to think of that, seeing as we have such a tight factory stall in there... but... I recently disabled that in my truck.

Archived