Quiet exhaust

SSLink

Guys:

I am on the other end of the spectrum from most, but I hate noise. I am looking for a muffler or catback that will improve flow and performance over stock, but will be just as or nearly as quiet. :happysad:

I know there have been related exhaust posts previously, but specifically does anyone know of a straight-through (non-chambered) design muffler that's reasonably quiet? Rumble at the tailpipe is fine. It's that in-cab resonance that I want to avoid. :wtf:

I was thinking Magnaflow, but some have reported that there is a pretty good drone at around 1900-2000 RPM, where I think I may spend a fair amount of time cruising. :ughdance:

Gibson, Corsa, Borla? Any thoughts or experiences would be appreciated. :chevy:

I think any aftermarket exhaust is going to be noisier. I had a Magnaflow on my SS for a while, and it is considered to be one of the quieter exhausts out there. The drone was too much for me. Even the generally louder exhaust was not that great for my ears. The Magnaflow has a nice rumble to it that I like, but I just could not handle the extra volume, especially on long trips. I am considering doing a dual stock exhaust to see if that will give me increased flow, but retain the stock noise levels.

SS%20Exhaust-%20Dual%20Stock.jpg

(forgot to draw the X pipe bettwen the two pipes before the mufflers, and no, the bends are not meant to be 90 degrees like that, it is just a quick drawing).

I got sick of the noise from my old setup. So on my exhaust, it's 3'' from the headers to a magnaflow x-pipe to a 3'' magnaflow y-pipe. From there it is 3'' to a magnaflow 18'' case muffler and out the back 3'' to the stock location. Now its a nice mellow tone with no reasonance or drone, and it helps hide the cam too. When i get on it, it is still loud. The old setup was the same without the y-pipe and it went into 30series flows that were dumped. There was also no performance loss going to this new setup. Actually mid range feels alittle stronger now.

I hope to have my exhaust installed this week. I too want a very quiet interior, but I also want as much flow as possible. I've already bought parts just need to get it installed. I'm going to run 3 mufflers and an X pipe. Exhaust will flow through an X pipe then into two magnaflow 3" straight through mufflers. From there it will stay dual then into a larger magnaflow with a single 4" out. I'm going to try the 90* side exit first. If I need, I'll hook up the stock SS 4" exhaust pipe and run it back behind the rear tire.

In essence its similar to the magnaflow catback designed for the SS, but it has much larger mufflers, the X, and more exhaust flow.

Here is a visual (to give Dave some competition):

magnaflow.gif

How quiet is the Corsa compared to the Magnaflow? If the Corsa is quieter, than there will be a Magnaflow catback for sale.

Richard you are on the right path, I think your setup will be very quiet. The drone is starting to wear me out. Those 5x8s should make a difference cause these little 4 inch rounds don't do anything.

Thanks, guys for the suggestions. Particularly the diagrams on those nice custom setups. :thumbs:

As far as the catbacks available, it does seem the Corsa may be the quietest option. I wouldn't even mind the noise at WOT, as long as there is no drone at cruising. I had myself fooled that my last car, a 1999 Camaro SS, wasn't that loud. Now with my SSS I know what quiet is, and don't want to give it up. :nonod:

The only problem with the Corsa is it's pricey, and they won't sell you just the muffler. That's why I find it intriguing that I could maybe go with the Magnaflow catback and if necessary add another muffler, as ber BigTex's idea. :P

When all is said and done I wonder just how much gain is available over the stock muffler, anyway, The straight-through side probably flows OK. I just think that dead end on the other side must be causing some turbulence and/or restriction. :(

I was looking for the same type set up; maybe a little louder than stock, and quiet in the cab. I did a lot of reading of threads here and at chevytruckworld.com, and gm-truck.com. It seems that all of the 6.0 trucks have the drone issue, not just the SS's. I ended up going with Flo-Pro's HD Big Oval Muffler. So far I like it. It is just a little louder than stock, and very little drone in the cab.

I'm currently running a flopro muffler. Only reason I'm changing is to get more performance since I have a supercharger. I've got the dual 3" in / Single 3" out. Its just as quiet as stock in the cab. Just a hint of drone, but its more of a "tin can" sound that drone. Mine is louder than normal because I removed my catalytic converters.

If I were staying N/A and wasn't pushing the limit, I'd stick with the flopro. Its big and heavy, but does a very good job of cutting out the in-cab noise.

Magnaflow also makes a longer (30" body, 36" overall) muffler, part no. 14592. It has dual 2.75" inlets and one 3" outlet. I need to get under the truck to measure, but does anyone think this might fit from the stock inlet pipes to the tailpipe with the Y cut off? :dunno:

This might save adding an adapter pipe, and maybe the longer muffler body would be somewhat quieter. :uhoh:

Corsa is pricey yes but a good system that is straight through like you want. You need to ride in one and if you try you can.

Lots of GM dealers are getting demos and\or purchasing catbacks from Corsa and adding 20 inch wheels to dress up show room models. As with myself, folks are reporting having no trouble getting a test or demo ride. Most are getting the sport (louder) edition of the Corsa catback. I have seen and ridden in a ECSB with a dual rear exit Sport edition.

What it sounds like you are looking for describes the Corsa Touring (quieter) edition I have on my truck. See my signature.

Just loud enough in the cab at normal city speeds to indicate it is there. At city and highway cruise speeds it is silent in the cab. When you pull a hill or accelerate is heard in the cab but no annoyingly. When you floor it and it gets to the mid to upper revs it opens up nicely.

At it's loudest in the cab, one does not need to speak any louder or run the volume up on the audio.

Just got to or call around the local Chevy and GMC dealerships service or parts counters and ask if they have a truck on the lot with a Corsa on it. I seen one at my dealership and expressed I was interested but needed to hear it from in the cab first. He took me for a ride in it. The sport is a tad louder in the cab and lots louder outside than the Touring.

A Note: The sport dual rear exit seems to be raspy especially at start up. If that is all they have don't associate the outside sound with the touring. The touring is mellow but flows the same. It is also quieter in the cab. If you like the sport in the cab you will love the touring.

How about a set of nice headers using the stock exhaust? It will be quiet because of the stock exhaust but better performance than stock because of the headers.

That's more or less where I am now, although I only have shorties, not LT's. I just don't want the stock muffler backing everything up, and I think straight-thru systems naturally flow better.

I am going to drive out to Corsa (local here) and listen to their sport and touring systems on other trucks to get some idea of what they would be like on the SS. I'm hearing that the touring version is reeeealllly quiet, very stock-like.

We'll see. Thanks again to all for your suggestions. :)

Archived