Piece of RIM Broke OFF!!!

fox_forma

What did you see warrented and how did they go about it? I would really like to get this resolved without having to pay a ton ofmoney for a new rim cause i'm partially broke right now since I just bought a few quads to fix up and sell for a profit but its time consuming so i'm in a hole right now. Anyone want to buy a quad next week?? :banghead:

What did you see warrented and how did they go about it?  I would really like to get this resolved without having to pay a ton ofmoney for a new rim cause i'm partially broke right now since I just bought a few quads to fix up and sell for a profit but its time consuming so i'm in a hole right now.  Anyone want to buy a quad next week?? :banghead:

Even though you hit a curb there's no real tire damage. Also they are designed to take some abuse. Pot holes, rough roads ect. Since they found stress cracks I would think they would replace it. Bad castings happen every once in a while.

Thanx Arrivalss, I just drove to the dealer i bought it from, it was far so I went to a closer GM dealer before and my dealer said it should be no problem but I have to wait till monday and talk to the head guy there to get it taken care of. So hopefully this works out. They said they had someone come in recently with a tahoe that hit a pot hole and it almost did the same break but that guys tire blew out and then caused even more damage. My tire didn;t blow out or anything and its still holding air somehow so the GM guy was a little stumped. Hopefully on Mon this is resolved.

Yeah that seriously sucks, I do think you got a bum wheel and hope you get it replaced. I had cast aluminum wheels on a '99 Expedition, the vehicle suffered a major collision when it had 20K miles on it, damn-near a total but none of the wheels were touched in the impact. However, I had two of the rims fail later, one at 65K miles, and another at 85K miles (the tires would not stay aired-up). They looked fine but internally had developed microscopic stress fractures and after 3-4 years of use they finally failed... Cast materials are brittle by nature, when they do fail they shatter like glass (rather than bend or distort).

Mr. P. :)

• 2 weeks later...

No go on the dealer helpin me out, but i did just get another rim for $135.00 shipped so it should be here next week. It does have a little curb rash on it but i dont care at this point, i'm tired of having one black wheel on and the rest silver. Do you think a rim shop can smooth out the rash some on the rim. I have another rim with some rash on it also so i figured i would get them done if it is possible. Anything was better than GM's $587 a wheel.

:eek: Hey I don't know if they have any place where you live that can fix the wheel, there is a couple of places here in FL that can repair it, not sure if they are nation wide. I had a 97 Z71 and Mercedes pulled out in front of me :mad: and i swerved to miss to it and clip it with both right wheels and messed them up (wiped out the front of the Mercedes). It cost about $150 - $200 to fix. Couldn't tell they were ever damaged. Check the net to find one near you. :thumbs:

:eek: Hey I don't know if they have any place where you live that can fix the wheel, there is a couple of places here in FL that can repair it, not sure if they are nation wide. I had a 97 Z71 and Mercedes pulled out in front of me :mad:  and i swerved to miss to it and clip it with both right wheels and messed them up (wiped out the front of the Mercedes). It cost about $150 - $200 to fix. Couldn't tell they were ever damaged. Check the net to find one near you. :thumbs:

Thanks, I took my rim to one place that repairs wheels but the guy that does it broke his neck skiing so that was a no go. That was goin to cost me about $235 so I just have to find another place around me to smooth out the new rim coming in and my other one. I's rather spend $135 for a new rim with minor rash and get it fixed for cheap so we'll see

i did the same damn thing...nothing you can do...just pretend you did it to all four wheels and get new rims all together...then you have some decent spares..

i would have to say that i had a much better story though... :driving:

At least you were trying to impress cheerleaders when you did yours.....lol

Archived